New Games Releasing This Week: December 5 - 11

Don’t know what games are coming out this week? Don’t worry! We here at NZGamer.com have you covered, organising some of the biggest releases into one handy article. Remeber, you' also get VIP points for following games – so make sure to add these ones too!

Following on from before, this week also marks the release of a long in-development game -- one which many thought wouldn't see the light of day. The Last Guardian is finally hitting store shelves this Wednesday exclusively for PS4. If you're an Xbox gamer you also have Dead Rising 4 to look forward to, taking the fight to zombies back in Willamette.

For a broader look at what's coming out in the holiday season, make sure to check out the December 2016 Game Release Schedule.

Note: While this list is intended to be as comprehensive as possible, it is difficult to cover everything, especially with the growing prominence of downloadable and indie games. The dates of some releases can also shift around. If you notice anything that's missing, please let us know in the comments, or by emailing news@nzgamer.com.

December 6th

The Unspoken

PC

Learn the secret art of spellcasting. Veteran developer Insomniac Games presents The Unspoken—an Oculus Touch‐enabled VR action game that pulls players into a hidden world of spellcasting and magicians’ duels. Manipulate the environment around you with the powerful arcane forces that flow through your fingertips, summon unfathomable monstrosities with your bare hands, and rise up through the ranks of an urban magic fight club.

Werewolves Within

PS4, PC

Werewolves Within is a fast-paced game of hidden roles and social deduction for five to eight players. In one game, you might be a villager trying their hardest to cleanse the town of werewolves, while minutes later you could be the werewolf, lying and betraying friends in order to survive the vote.

Dead Rising 4

Xbox One, PC

It’s the holiday season in Willamette, Colorado and a mysterious outbreak has overrun the Willamette Memorial Megaplex Mall and surrounding town with dangerous and deadly predators. Join Frank West as you explore a vast, open world sandbox filled with dangerous new zombies and a million ways to kill them as you seek to uncover the truth behind the outbreak – or die trying.

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

PC

Shadow Tactics is a hardcore tactical stealth game set in Japan around the Edo period. A new Shogun seizes power over Japan and enforces nationwide peace. In his battle against conspiracy and rebellion, he recruits five specialists with extraordinary skills for assassination, sabotage and espionage.

VR Sports Challenge

PC

Grab a helmet, polish your lucky bat, lace up your kicks, and sharpen your skates as you step out of the tunnel and onto the gridiron, ballpark, hardwood, and ice as an elite athlete in VR Sports Challenge. Live the mythical moments from your favorite sports that you've only dreamed about: call the plays and drive your team to the end zone as an all-pro quarterback, knock the ball out of the park as long ball slugger, drain threes from around the horn as a hot handed shooter, and lock down victory on the ice as an impenetrable goalie.

December 7th

The Last Guardian

PS4

The Last Guardian is the latest work of the game designer, Fumito Ueda, who has created the beloved and award-winning titles ICO and Shadow of the Colossus for the PlayStation 2 system. It is an action-adventure game where the player will take on the role of a young boy who goes on a journey along with a mysterious and gigantic creature, Trico, feared as a man-eating beast. The two will adventure through treacherous ancient ruins and gradually deepen the bond between each other, facing many difficulties on the way.

Posted by Bank
On Monday 5 Dec 2016 8:33 AM
Holy Moses. THIS WEEK.

The Last Guardian
The Last Guardian
I wish one of the editions came with a t-shirt.

Posted by Xaphriel
On Monday 5 Dec 2016 9:00 AM
Really hope The Last Guardian lives up to expectations.

Posted by AdamC
On Monday 5 Dec 2016 10:22 AM
5 December 2016, 09:00 AM Reply to Xaphriel
Really hope The Last Guardian lives up to expectations.
Going in without forcing expectations on a game is key

On Monday 5 Dec 2016 10:28 AM
5 December 2016, 09:00 AM Reply to Xaphriel
Really hope The Last Guardian lives up to expectations.
After this many years I hope so too.

I wonder if it will be the game we are expected many moons ago or if it's development period brings us something astounding.

Posted by Nick2016NZ
On Monday 5 Dec 2016 12:17 PM
For everyone planning on picking up The Last Guardian this week, I really hope you guys enjoy it and it's everything you wanted it to be, it's been a long wait, hopefully your patience will be rewarded with an amazing gaming experience.

Posted by Bank
On Monday 5 Dec 2016 12:59 PM
5 December 2016, 12:17 PM Reply to Nick2016NZ
Hey man this may be able to explain how Team Ico / Ueda games could possibly be viewed to some(?):

There has never been a period in my life where I was feeling 'Holy sh*t where is this game. Come out already'. I just knew it was coming and I had things to do. Was excited for the next Team Ico experience, whenever that would be. Who cares, awesome.

I borrowed SoTC from my neighbour without ever thinking 'Hey this might be a cool game, I hope. Gonna' check it out'. I was already thinking 'Wow this game is obviously amazing to me. I wonder how the story ends. Look at that titan on the front cover! Is it related to Ico?'

So to me it literally doesn't matter how crap the game is. I'm playing it because it's a contract of fulfilment. The DNA of the game has already been designed to resonate with me due to the dev team, director, predecessors. They have a vision that is on a similar wavelength with mine. They want a good game to be played for sure - but they actually want something much more than that at the end of it all. Something beneath its terrible or extraordinary game-play mechanics.

If it was created by a 75% Western staff who grew up on Western things, then there could be a chance that the 'series' could disappoint its roots. But since it's Team Ico and Ueda, they had a different vision from the offset.

The game couldn't even be terrible since there was no waiting involved for me. It's not even going to be a game, a good game or a bad game. It simply just "is". And it's coming this week. Like, patience was never part of the equation? I'm sure? ("like" and question marks are a joke). Hey look at how FFXV is doing after 10 years. Surely game from a team that knows themselves can do similar?

I think Google calls this fanboyism.

Posted by NZBuc
On Monday 5 Dec 2016 1:05 PM
I loved ico way back when, hope the new game is just as special as that was (thankful for YouTube nowadays so I can watch a play through if I want!)

Posted by polarbear
On Monday 5 Dec 2016 1:50 PM
Got my copy the last guardian. Fizzing

Posted by ninja
On Monday 5 Dec 2016 2:08 PM
The last gaurdain yes pleaee!! Also DR4 just cause!

Posted by CloudAxel16
On Tuesday 6 Dec 2016 4:13 PM
The year of dreams! The last guardian is finally here!