The Weekend Chat: Sales, Sales, Sales

Everyone loves a good bargain. Whether or not you have any disposable income, saving money is always great. This week marked the start of substantial sales on games, with Steam, Sony, and Microsoft all joining in on the Black Friday fun.

While sales are good for your wallet, they might not be good for your backlog. Your library grows, with more-and-more titles added to your ever-expanding list of things you’ll rarely find time to play. So this week we ask you:

Do sales hurt the way we approach playing games?

Does having a breadth of things to play dilute the enjoyment you could have by playing one game? Do you abstain from sales because of these concerns, or do you dive in?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by ACG Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by NZGamer
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 4:06 PM
Let's get the weekend started right! Here's a PS+ code: MB8P-M7ND-8MTG

For more details to win a truckload of VIP points visit - http://nzgamer.com/competitions/485/vip-bounty-free-for-all.html

Posted by BlakeyNZ
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 4:08 PM
Damn good question!
Yeah for me it does dilute the experience to a degree but these sales have been so good ive gotten things I wouldnt normally

Posted by CloudAxel16
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 4:20 PM
If I buy a game at full price, I tend to play the game to its fullest extent, trying to go for the 100% completion (or as close as possible) This usually tends to me straying away from other games as modern titles have gotten bigger and longer to complete.

With games getting these deeper discounts, it can leave me with less guilt if I pick it up and quickly play through it or leave it halfway.

So it's either I play a game to the fullest and not play a range of other great games or just play the main parts and get through multiple games.

So sales do impact the way we play games. But I rather have a choice of great games which I mostly won't get to play rather than the alternative.

On Friday 25 Nov 2016 4:23 PM
Yeah it hurts. I'm resisting hard out today, got one game from MightyApe and one from PSN store that Im frigging on the trigger with but resisting due purely to time and backlog. I just keep telling myself they'll be on sale again so chill and finish your backlog. I have this conversation with myself every 15-30minutes, cant wait for the sales to be over tbh lol

oconnomiyaki
Posted by oconnomiyaki
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 4:25 PM
It used to have an effect on my backlog, but I've learned two very important things:

1) Waiting can pay off.

2) You don't have to get something just because it's a good deal.

I held off getting Skyrim and now it's $50. That's just one example but I don't want to make myself feel bad by thinking about all the ones I missed by being impatient.

Likewise, I saw plenty of "good deals" in the Xbox Store, but they were also games I wasn't super-interested in. So I just let them passed me by, picked up what I wanted at a good price, and was happy with the result.

Get the games you want because they are a bargain. Don't get games just because they are a bargain.

Posted by Paorio
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 4:33 PM
I swear they throw sales up just because I bought a game.

On Friday 25 Nov 2016 4:43 PM
This Steam sale is nothing compared to the winter and summer sales. I have about 600 games, so, are you saying i enjoy my games more if i pay more? ........ Well sometimes if i force myself the get my moneys worth out of a game, but no i have played Dota 2 over 2k hours and the other games haven't diluted my experience. If i don't like a game i just drop it and with the refund policy that is really good. Remember choice is always good.

Unless im entirely missing the point.....

Posted by Xaphriel
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 4:45 PM
Sales make me spend money I don't have under the impression that I'm saving money. I know it's a trap, but they're just so beautiful...

I'm finding it very hard to follow my own advice around backlogs now, but I'm managing to stay strong... for now.

On Friday 25 Nov 2016 4:53 PM
25 November 2016, 04:45 PM Reply to Xaphriel

hmm, i manage it by allowing a certain amount of money spent each sale, it works for me so far.

Posted by Coddfish
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 5:20 PM
I think it's a really interesting discussion. I know for my own part, I tend to invest myself more in games that I've payed full price for. Part of that is choice-supportive bias, of course, but I also think that when you're buying a game at full price, you're buying it because you want to play it *now*. Usually if I buy a game on sale, it's because it's a game I want to play at some point, or even something that just looks kinda neat or I've heard good things about, so it's easier to just buy it then forget about.

Posted by OriginalSin
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 5:24 PM
I don't feel that having a large library dilutes the enjoyment, but it certainly means I don't feel the need to park myself on one title until completion like I used to.

Paying a smaller price tag for a game gives you the sense that you're still getting your money's worth out of it even if you don't sink that much time into it.

I've probably only "completed" a handful of games this year but it doesn't worry me, I'm just as happy flitting between titles as the mood takes me as I was back in the days when I parked on one.

Posted by iludez
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 5:40 PM
That's a difficult one, for me I think it detracts a bit of play value from it

Posted by AdamC
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 6:32 PM
Sales made me buy games I wouldn't otherwise buy. Dragon age, battlefield, that alien horror. I didn't beat any of the as I didn't enjoy them a hell of a lot, but I did get to try something different for a fraction of the price so I'm happy

Posted by AdamC
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 6:33 PM
25 November 2016, 06:32 PM Reply to AdamC
Could add fallout to that list but I might go back to that yet .

On Friday 25 Nov 2016 6:54 PM
25 November 2016, 04:45 PM Reply to Xaphriel

This.

I spent money this weekend on games I wouldn't have otherwise.

2 games I wanted to buy soon so it made sense. The other I wasn't that interested in but the price was good enough to convince me.

Mafivee
Posted by Mafivee
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 7:24 PM
These days I only buy a few games a year that I'm really interested in and rarely buy anything else even when on sale as I'll get to it when I get to it. I used to snap up the deals all the time years ago and that's how my backlogs got out of control, but with priorities now, I'm more reserved

Posted by Silvon
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 8:20 PM
My primary approach to buying games isn't price, it's what I want. I won't buy a game purely because it's on special unless I've already decided that I'll buy it anyway.

I avoid buying games that I don't actually want just because they're on sale. I have far too many games in my backlog already, no need to throw more money and games into it!

Posted by FreddlePopGameS
On Friday 25 Nov 2016 10:02 PM
I generally don't mind waiting for games to go on sale since I already have plenty to play.

Sales can be funny though. Example is, there are games you wouldn't necessarily play but you buy it since it's on sale. You attempt to play the game and realize you don't actually like it but now feel the need to play it since you just spent money on it despite getting it at a lower price. The double edged sword in that is you either feel like you have wasted money, albeit a reduced amount then if you bought it when not on sale, and the other side is forcing yourself to play through a game you don't like which ultimately wastes your time by doing so when you're not getting satisfaction from playing it.

I'd much rather play a game I bought at full price which I enjoy rather than a game on sale which I don't enjoy because I spent money on an impulse.due to low prices.

I could name recent examples of some AAA games but I know many people love them and will judge me for my opinion.

One thing I've learned from gaming, especially with those who own multiple consoles. patience and control is necessary when it comes to spending, especially with a period of huge titles like we've had over the last 2 months.

Posted by ninja
On Saturday 26 Nov 2016 7:45 AM
As a common theme here, I do tend to spend more time on games I purchased full price. If I buy it new I do intend on complete thing it and set aside the time. Sales allow me to get games I want to play but don't want to pay full price but in the end may not complete it.

Posted by kiwiatlarge
On Saturday 26 Nov 2016 9:29 AM
I'm not gaming like I used to. I used to buy more games than I do now, and often I'd 100% them, or at least replay them two or three times to mop most of the stuff up. Specials lately have lead me to buy remasters I wasn't planning on. But as FFXV is coming next week and assuming I enjoy it, I've been trying to complete just the story runs of them.

In the process I've pushed back Gears of War 4 which I still haven't finished one run through the story on an easy difficulty. I had it delivered day 1. Guess what I'm going to try and do this weekend.

The last games I replayed and "100%'d" (to the point of getting the Platinum trophies on all of them, were the Uncharted Trilogy games.. Funnily enough I still haven't even replayed Uncharted 4.

Posted by thc4108
On Saturday 26 Nov 2016 8:02 PM
I buy games that i want to play it annoys me sometimes when they are on sale sometimes not long after they come out but thats just life i suppose.

Posted by trun39
On Saturday 26 Nov 2016 8:42 PM
I am very conscious of game sales and it is very rare if I buy close to day one. I don't buy a lot of games but I want to get my value for the ones I get.
There are some games that I have bought cheap, then played and felt a bit dirty because they were worth so much more that what I paid. :)

Posted by Nick2016NZ
On Saturday 26 Nov 2016 8:43 PM
Definitely bad for my backlog, which I'm currently trying to clear before buying any more games. As tempting as the Black Friday sales have been, I've managed to resist so far. Like someone else said, I think sales also make me try other games I might not otherwise pick up at full price, some I've thoroughly enjoyed. Definitely a good thing for the consumer.

Posted by ironfist92
On Saturday 26 Nov 2016 11:21 PM
25 November 2016, 04:06 PM Reply to NZGamer
Let's get the weekend started right! Here's a PS+ code: MB8P-M7ND-8MTG

Whats this code for?

Posted by AdamC
On Sunday 27 Nov 2016 10:06 AM
Comment has been removed.
A lot of these lately! Students from ubee? Lol

Posted by captain X nz
On Sunday 27 Nov 2016 11:56 AM
Too many sales and more often they're not really bargains anyway, Being time poor and overloaded with games anyway I never get to fully complete much. So I don't see much in the 'must have' section.

God of War is tempting at that price, but I'll never enjoy it much as well I know.

You have to have your own parameters, e.g. If I ever see Mad Max below $20 I'll get it out of curiosity, but my pile of shame doesn't need adding to without good reason.

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Sunday 27 Nov 2016 4:26 PM
I don't feel buying them on special changes how I feel about playing them but I feel worse if I've paid full price and don't play them lol.

Posted by birdman
On Monday 28 Nov 2016 7:32 AM
The big sales don't really bother me nowadays. I've really kept an eye on my backlog lately and have only picked up the games I really want to play. I saw some nice deals on Friday but resisted OK as I know I haven't got a lot of spare time for gaming at present and I have plenty of titles to play. The old me would have gone apesh*t though lol.

Posted by czk51
On Monday 28 Nov 2016 10:41 AM
"Does having a breadth of things to play dilute the enjoyment you could have by playing one game?" yeah, pretty much. I end up getting 3 or 4 games on the boil that I'm jumping between daily and often I'll buy a game on sale thinking i'll play it later / on holiday or whatever, ultimately it gets thrown into the mix and I'll just chip away at it rather than dive in for the end to end experience.

Though this is a bigger issue than just sales, for me. This has been a really tough year lol.

Posted by ptys
On Wednesday 30 Nov 2016 12:39 AM
I've really started to be picky about what games I buy. Started Dark Souls 3, played for about 9 hours and then listed on Trade Me. I get why people love the grind, but I just don't have 50+ hours to spend on one game, would rather be spending it getting my ass kicked in SFV.

Posted by Nick2016NZ
On Wednesday 30 Nov 2016 6:53 AM
30 November 2016, 12:39 AM Reply to ptys
Took me just over 16 hours to finish it on my first playthrough, not sure where you got the 50+ hours from. Should have stuck with it, one of the very best games this year.