The Weekend Chat: Wii Hardly Knew U

Last week reports hit that Nintendo would be wrapping up production on their flagging tablet-based system the Wii U. While those claims were refuted by the company, news released this week revealed that they were in fact true.

While the system’s flaws were well documented – mostly to do with how it was marketed – it’s undeniable that the Wii U was an incredibly unique system, offering a solid (but small) software library. So this week, we ask you:

What could have been done to save the Wii U?

Did third party developers punch out too early? Did it need more big hitters like Bayonetta 2? Would different branding really have helped?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored by ACG Yoobee School of Design

The Weekend Chat is brought to you by ACG Yoobee School of Design.

For more information, visit www.yoobee.ac.nz

Posted by AdamC
On Friday 11 Nov 2016 4:02 PM
Xenoblade chronicles x. It's a $400 game imo comes with a consol to play it on. It's worth it. Mario kart is cool too

Posted by Coddfish
On Friday 11 Nov 2016 4:18 PM
Nintendo just didn't really figure out how to sell it, and to differentiate it from Wii. It's a really great console with an *amazing* library, but I think it maybe took too long to get there and Nintendo still haven't really figured out how to show people that.

Posted by LukeB
On Friday 11 Nov 2016 4:19 PM
Not name it the Wii U. No seriously, It was a complete failure of a system because it was marketed as though it was an add-on to the Wii. But that's only something that could have happened before the device was ever made. So what could have been DONE to save it (as the question asks), hmmmmmmm.

* Added a robust reward system (achievements/trophies)
* Make a decent match making/friends/online system and infrastructure
* Have Game Freak make a Pokemon game that looks like the franchise had a kid with Dragon Age: Inquisition to make a fully voice acted, High Definition 3D game, with a deep narrative (suitable for kids, with hidden depths for adults), and stunning graphical effects - all with an updated-to-work-in-the-new-engine version of the systems the series is known for.

Perhaps these are just my wishlist for the NS, but I've honestly wanted these things since before the Wii U was announced, and had it had these things, I might have picked one up... if the NS does include them, I think it could be the first Nintendo device I purchase since the Gameboy Colour. I really do have my fingers crossed that Game Freak do make a modern Pokemon RPG with the NS over the coming years.

Posted by ReaperCrew
On Friday 11 Nov 2016 4:41 PM
In my opinion the biggest mistake Nintendo made with the Wii U was where they positioned it in the market and the developer support they gave it, as this caused it to become an 'orphan'. All the more established gaming engines required more horsepower than the Wii U offered, so instantly Nintendo lost the ability to have those titles on the platform. That was not a bad thing in itself, because it meant the Wii U didn't compete directly with Xbox and Playstation. However, where Nintendo failed and what would have saved the Wii U, was their ability to capture and support the mid tier developers, the mobile device developers, which could have turned the Wii U into an awesome platform to consider and market to the casual gamer.

Posted by AdamC
On Friday 11 Nov 2016 5:28 PM
11 November 2016, 04:19 PM Reply to LukeB

* Added a robust reward system (achievements/trophies)
* Make a decent match making/friends/online system and infrastructure

I really dont understand the point of the achievement/trophy systems. Especially including them in a list of what could save a console. They feel like empty rewards for doing stuff you normally wouldnt do because its boring... I really dont get it.

I completely agree with the infrastructure updated.... Your Digital games being locked to a console, rather than your account is rubbish.

Posted by LukeB
On Friday 11 Nov 2016 6:57 PM
11 November 2016, 05:28 PM Reply to AdamC

They're nice indicators as to whether you have completed the game, and finding out what is possible when you don't have time to spend months with a single title. I also like using them to track my progress with multiple games, and working out what I can talk to friends about due to knowing how much of the campaign they've played :)

Posted by Ron
On Friday 11 Nov 2016 7:04 PM
Haven't played the wii u for months. They missed the mark with the range of titles for me. I'll keep it for my little Nintendo library and won't sell it.

Posted by AdamC
On Friday 11 Nov 2016 8:09 PM
11 November 2016, 06:57 PM Reply to LukeB
That's the best reason I have heard. Thanks for that. I have never thought of it that way

Posted by Paorio
On Friday 11 Nov 2016 8:12 PM
I've always really wanted a proper console pokemon game (e.g. leaf green, white, ruby), that might've sold some consoles

Posted by ptys
On Friday 11 Nov 2016 9:02 PM
They started off with an identity issue and then failed to drop the price because of the poor insight into the cost of production. The Wii didn't really start taking off until two years in when it was really cheap. They should have just done a Microsoft and released a version with a Pro Controller instead of the touch pad. It would never save it but maybe they'd double their sales. I like my Wii U but having to have the touch screen on, even when watching Netflix is a PITA.

Posted by ptys
On Friday 11 Nov 2016 9:04 PM
11 November 2016, 04:02 PM Reply to AdamC
Really? I bought Xenoblade X last year and played about 15 hours but it never got its hooks into me. Mario Kart is worth 400... maybe $200 to me though..

Posted by AdamC
On Friday 11 Nov 2016 9:05 PM
11 November 2016, 08:12 PM Reply to Paorio
I think Nintendo would love it too, and are probably hoping for one with switch, but Gamefreak have always said that there pokemon is about going out and being social. Damn them lol.

On Friday 11 Nov 2016 10:04 PM
11 November 2016, 06:57 PM Reply to LukeB
Thanks to PS rarity indicators it's quite interesting with story trophies showing where most people who played lost interest.

Trophies / achievements are totally pointless and useless, but they can be do satisfying to get. The new Nintendo system needs one.

Posted by cortez72
On Saturday 12 Nov 2016 12:08 PM
I felt Nintendo had pushed the marketing of the Wii around 'changing the way we play games, more physical interaction, no c*mbersome controller'. Then the WiiU came out, as basically the largest controller ever made!

Like Paorio, I would have gone crazy for a real Pokemon next gen experience. But they are clearly focused on keeping that franchise exclusively handheld. But a Pokemon MMO with console graphical capability... I've said it before, that's a license to print money.

I feel Nintendo should step away from consoles. That's two now which entered into the market too early and failed to compete with Sony/Microsoft. Wouldn't they make far more money developing their IP's for the big two as a third party developer? (Obviously continuing in the handheld market where they dominate).

Posted by piratemonkey
On Saturday 12 Nov 2016 12:25 PM
Wii U Later

Consumer market is fickle
Market Dominance can be decided on trivial things
Nintendo own a lot of wonderful IP but seem to struggle with hardware uptake.

Posted by AdamC
On Saturday 12 Nov 2016 7:09 PM
I really hope the switch works out for them. I'm looking forward to more news

Posted by Nick2016NZ
On Saturday 12 Nov 2016 7:22 PM
I still remember the strong opinions about the Wii U from this article (which was very good) and it's comments from a few years ago on here:

Still worth a read, it was a great article on the positives of the system.

Posted by AdamC
On Saturday 12 Nov 2016 7:42 PM
12 November 2016, 07:22 PM Reply to Nick2016NZ

Still worth a read, it was a great article on the positives of the system.
That was a good read that made me wish we got a fire emblem game for it

Posted by Nick2016NZ
On Sunday 13 Nov 2016 8:16 AM
11 November 2016, 10:04 PM Reply to drunk_monk

Xbox now shows the percentage of people that have unlocked a particular Achievement after the latest update as well.

On Sunday 13 Nov 2016 11:51 AM
13 November 2016, 08:16 AM Reply to Nick2016NZ
b*tchin, I hadn't noticed that yet.

It's a fun stat to see.

Posted by AdamC
On Monday 14 Nov 2016 7:18 AM
Seriously though, xenoblade is amazing if ya get the console for the right price. Wii U's crowning achievement