Rockstar Cracks down on GTA Online Cheaters

Rockstar Cracks down on GTA Online Cheaters

Developer Rockstar is cracking down on Grand Theft Auto Online cheaters. Namely, if you’ve accrued your wealth through illegitimate means, then you could expect to see a very large hole in your digital wallet the next time you log in.

As Kotaku reports, Rockstar has called today the “GTA Online October 2016 Illegitimately Gained In-Game Money Removal.” The developer gave a brief rundown of what’s been going on.

Question: Why did I receive an alert when logging into GTA Online saying that illegitimately gained in-game money was removed from my shared bank?

Answer: To keep the gameplay environment fair we have removed illegitimately gained in-game money from player accounts. If you received an alert saying that your shared bank balance was adjusted, that is because you had illegitimate funds in your account.

The statement goes on, adding that any money obtained through microtransactions wouldn’t be affected. In addition, suspension and ban policies have become a lot more stringent, moving from a three-strike system to two.

“Suspensions from GTA Online due to [cheating] may be temporary suspensions or permanent bans depending on the severity of the infraction,” reads the post “If you receive a temporary suspension from GTA Online, the next infraction will result in a permanent ban.”

This news follows on from a Halloween update to the open-world crime game, bringing with it a new bike and mode. In addition, by logging in you’ll receive a cool $250,000 of in-game money.

Posted by AdamC
On Wednesday 26 Oct 2016 3:07 PM
Sweet $250k free cash. I need that too

Posted by Bank
On Wednesday 26 Oct 2016 3:21 PM
Can someone explain to me what you do with the online money in GTA?
Does it enhance your gameplay?

Posted by AdamC
On Wednesday 26 Oct 2016 4:47 PM
26 October 2016, 03:21 PM Reply to Bank
Can someone explain to me what you do with the online money in GTA?
Does it enhance your gameplay?
It pays for ammo, cars, etc. it's actually pretty easy to make when ya play often and don't need to buy every new toy.

Posted by RKO_NZ
On Wednesday 26 Oct 2016 7:44 PM
To be honest, I think this wave of cleaning is a bit too late, although we can expect to see more free DLC packs in the future, most players have already bought and "money laundered" all the new expensive cars and properties, I'm not gonna lie, I entered a tunables lobby back when this game was on 360, I got given 25M, I had all the money removed back then and I got put in cheater pool for a couple days, yet you still see small time youtubers who have over 500M. I actually ended up deleting this game from my hard drive, because I just dont have the time to grind missions to get the kind of money set by the newer DLC's to buy the newer vehicles

Posted by Paorio
On Wednesday 26 Oct 2016 10:42 PM
A little too late, most of the cheaters have left because they got bored

On Thursday 27 Oct 2016 12:54 AM
26 October 2016, 03:21 PM Reply to Bank
Can someone explain to me what you do with the online money in GTA?
Does it enhance your gameplay?
Basically pay to win.

Posted by MadCant
On Thursday 27 Oct 2016 12:22 PM
27 October 2016, 12:54 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Basically pay to win.
GTA$ only provide access to items you can buy in game & in this case we're talking specific to GTAO. One of many examples of why it's not pay-to-win is that one cannot mod their car up to the moon, until such time as they've won sufficient races to unlock everything. Anybody that chooses to, can spend IRL moolahs to buy shark cards, providing one limitless amounts in game money (if they're so inclined). Obviously in game money is a requirement, so if you cannot grind it out & want that Buzzard or whatever, you're going to have to buy some shark cards. There's plenty of people who haven't bought a single shark card & have most of everything they want.

Posted by Mafivee
On Thursday 27 Oct 2016 2:15 PM
Not only does it keep the gameplay enviroment fair it also makes players that can't or don't want to earn their money cave and pay for in-game cash that funds us free DLC. Win-win.

Posted by Bunnny
On Tuesday 22 Nov 2016 9:52 AM
I'm honestly confused with how long this took.

As all the cheaters bought stuff with the wealth they've earned as they new this was coming...

So far to late...