The Weekend Chat: Will you be a Nintendo Switch Early Adopter?

The Nintendo NX has been renamed to the Nintendo Switch, and will be launching in March next year, but was the information provided in the teaser trailer, and the promise of a dual home and portable device enough to get people hyped for the new system.

After experiencing such a thriving portable market with the 3DS, and yet the complete opposite when it comes to the Nintendo Wii U, could the company finally have another winner on their hands with the Switch? But the real question is:

Did Nintendo tease enough to get you to empty your wallet come March? and if not, what do they need to do or prove to earn your coin?

Looking at what the Nintendo Switch is offering gamers, with it's NVIDIA powered insides, and instant transition from home-to-portable system that allows you to take you AAA titles with you where-ever you go, or the ability to play local multiplayer games using the detachable Joy-Con controllers, and wirelessly connect to near-by Switchs for local multiplayer, it's easy to see the benefits, but is it enough? What do you think?

Let us know in the comments below!

Posted by captain X nz
On Friday 21 Oct 2016 7:20 PM
It's innovative and the glossy trailer suggests it can do lots without battery or network concerns, I love the idea of it. Have moved away from iPad games long time ago and I still love my Vita - so the whole pause, play on the go, pause play on TV sits well with me.

I haven't however been snagged by Nintendo since my N64 days, so it'll come down to the software.

Posted by AdamC
On Friday 21 Oct 2016 8:02 PM
If they get my 3rd party games like mass effect, red dead, etc then I don't see a reason why I would get them on PS4 where I can only play at home, when I could get them on Switch and really "play anywhere".
If they don't get the support, then I guess I'll wait for a great savings deal like I did with wii u.

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 21 Oct 2016 8:57 PM
Switch launch lineup predictions: Third party games you already bought a PS4/Xbone for, no big name Nintendo titles. Guess not then.

oconnomiyaki
Posted by oconnomiyaki
On Friday 21 Oct 2016 9:18 PM
The problem with the video is that it was glossy marketing and didn't really give anything substantial to sink your teeth into. As such, I'd say it's far too early for me to say whether I'd look at getting one at launch.

Has Nintendo improved its online offerings or do we still get stuff like friend codes born out of a fear of protecting the children? Do they have a decent account system in place that allows you to redownload your games to any new system without jumping through transfer hoops? Will there be actual support from Nintendo: will they keep suppliers flush with stock and advertise the console accordingly?

The Wii U is a good console. But you have to really love it and be prepared to jump through hoops if you put one under your TV. Pre-ordering to secure a copy of the big titles, not being able to take advatange of competitive pricing because only a handful of retailers stock the games, and lag-filled gaming sessions due to a limited user base in Oceania. I don't see anything in the Switch announcement that assures me that things have changed since the GameCube days.

It is a very aesthetically pleasing device, though. Price it really competitively and throw in a Metroid game and we'll talk.

Posted by Wertbag
On Friday 21 Oct 2016 10:10 PM
No must have games announced yet, really needs the line up to be more impressive before I'd be interested. Even the 48 companies who have said they will support it, most are not making games for it, just updating their already existing software to be compatible (Havok, cryware etc). Some of the game companies are talking about porting existing games, but very few will risk throwing their support behind a product they can't be sure will sell.
I wonder how many units it will have to sell to be considered successful?

Posted by ptys
On Saturday 22 Oct 2016 6:30 AM
The Wii U didn't sell because they made to cost of production so high the price could never come down... and it never did. I remember a conversation with my bother in-law asking me which console to buy his sons 3 yrs ago (X360, Ps3 or Wii U) I said for kids just getting into gaming got to go Nintendo being part of the SNES era myself. But they got a 360 instead as it was much cheaper.

On Saturday 22 Oct 2016 9:13 AM
I'm definitely interested so now it's up to Nintendo to prove it to me over the next 5 months.

Posted by OriginalSin
On Saturday 22 Oct 2016 7:57 PM
HD Monster Hunter as a launch title would certainly pique my interest. But yeah, we really need to find out what the price point and games lineup is like before jumping on any bandwagons.

Posted by guido
On Saturday 22 Oct 2016 9:23 PM
No way. I got a great deal on the Wii U so no huge regrets but I'm still waiting for the game I primarily got it for to come out. Nintendo need at a minimum a Switch exclusive Zelda title, a new Galaxy style 3D Mario, a new Metroid 3D title and then they'll have my attention. But saying that I like the look of the hardware, just need to see how the software pans out.

DERP
Posted by DERP
On Saturday 22 Oct 2016 11:11 PM
I'm pretty keen on this. I loved the Wii U gamepad in bed. or when my kids took the tv. I hope this more mobile unit gives good performance for battery life like my vita does. splatoon on the go!!

Posted by Jonathan-OverWorld
On Sunday 23 Oct 2016 1:30 AM
Day 1! :D But no surprises there.

I'm really excited for it, I've wanted them to consolidate their output for awhile. Now they wont be trying to support 2 machines (console and handheld) at once with awesome games and things will be a lot more focused.

Posted by kentnz
On Sunday 23 Oct 2016 1:25 PM
I never pre-order consoles. I have to wait for a price drop and a good library of games.

I have owned two 3DS consoled in my time, an OG and a NEW and I am very impressed with what it can do, I have always thought of picking up a Wii U too, so instead, eventually, I will probably get a switch.

Posted by Ron
On Sunday 23 Oct 2016 2:26 PM
Love Nintendo and will buy day #1. But I wish Nintendo nz/au would sort their sh*t out, literally some games have 20-30 copies nationwide on day #1 release.

Posted by FreddlePopGameS
On Sunday 23 Oct 2016 2:50 PM
23 October 2016, 01:30 AM Reply to Jonathan-OverWorld
Day 1! :D But no surprises there.

Always was gonna be day 1 for me and I'm really impressed and excited too.

I've owned every Nintendo handheld just for the fact they get the occasional gem of a game that I just cant pass on.
So I'm really happy to finally get the chance to not only play a Nintendo game on the go if I need to but also jam it on a big screen too.

I know I'm buying no matter what but like a few others I have my concerns.

1. 3rd parties must be a priority for Nintendo even if they have to beg and pay developers for some games to be on the console. There is no doubt that for myself if a Nintendo console could play Mario, Battlefield, GTA, EA Sports titles, MGS, Bioshock etc, I'd most likely stick to the one console and it would always be their's first.

I love my PS4 and Xbox One but they're exclusives are more easy for me to pass on than Zelda, Mario and hopefully a fricken legit AAA Metroid title.

2. Please Nintendo just bring your damn account system into the 21st century. Say what you want but Microsoft hands down owns the online account. It's not perfect but they know how to unify their services and make everything reasonably easy. If Nintendo can replicate even 80% of what Microsoft has achieved with their account service Nintendo will be heading in the right direction. I want Nintendo achievements, Nintendo Live, Nintendo chat etc.

3. They've shown us a glimpse of the console and a touch of what it can do and It's clear they have more secrets and unannounced things to eventually show off in greater detail at a later date. Nintendo off the past would show something and then move onto the next thing thinking what they've shown was already enough. In the past after a console released they would go quite for 6 or so months while they worked on trying to get games ready for it. This time they need to market the hell out of it and keep reiterating why you should buy this console, what games are coming soon and what games they have planned for the future. Too many times after a Nintendo console launches they're is a period of nothing which burns the early adopters. This all circles back to 3rd party support to fill in development gaps.
On this note though I do believe Nintendo are possibly gearing up for one of the best launches ever game wise and a short window for when other big name titles will drop to keep momentum going.

4. Know your audience. I'm sorry Nintendo but your audience isn't 12 year old kids or the wii soccer moms anymore, we have all grown up and though we love Mario and Zelda, we need you to prove to us that you have learnt from past mistakes and are willing to recognize the core gamer first. I have no problems with marketing towards the blue ocean markets of fringe gamers and non gamers to lure them in, but please understand that you're relevance to the industry is primarily driven by those who like me, want to see you succeed and have stuck with you while you make head scratching decisions with the audience you try focus on.
It was comforting to see from the trailer that there wasn't an under 20 year old in sight. I think they finally get it that the gaming landscape has changed in the past 15 or so years and it's not just mums and dads that buy games for little Timmy, but young adults and grown ups who spend their hard earned money and can generally only pick the one console that will best fit them. And sadly Nintendo has not been that console and hasn't been since the 90's.

Times have changed, gaming has changed and though Nintendo has loads of money and can handle a few flops, how long before the younger generation grow up a bit and Nintendo just becomes another name known in gaming history like Atari and Sega .

I love Nintendo and the games they make and I truly think this console is the right direction for them.
As long as they're releasing consoles I will always buy them. How can I not when they're the reason I love games as passionately as I do.
Nintendo struck gold with the Wii but that boat has long sailed and it's time to reinvent themselves and even though we've had a 3+ minute video showing everything so far, I think they finally get it and I really hope they do.

I can't wait until March!

Posted by dontboszit
On Sunday 23 Oct 2016 5:46 PM
I am interested in this but when it gets closer to the release of switch i shall see if it is financially viable for me to buy it

Posted by Dodgykiwi
On Monday 24 Oct 2016 9:47 AM
Considering I haven't had a Nintendo since the 64 & have no interest in handhelds I would say for now a No for me.

But it does look interesting they just need some good titles instead of most of the kid themed ones they currently have.

Posted by jmduknz
On Monday 24 Oct 2016 10:47 AM
Keen.

Love a good handheld so I'll be interested in this from the off. If it has access to the back catalog of games for wii and wii u all the better. Wishlist - trophies!

Posted by NZBuc
On Monday 24 Oct 2016 4:15 PM
23 October 2016, 02:50 PM Reply to FreddlePopGameS
Always was gonna be day 1 for me and I'm really impressed and excited too.

I know I'm buying no matter what but like a few others I have my concerns.

I can't wait until March!
Great post - loved Nintendo in the past, I'll keep an eye on it and see if the support (locally especially) is there

Posted by kiwijinxter
On Friday 28 Oct 2016 10:56 AM
I've got PC games galore, so Nintendo was my perfect companion - Wii U, 3DS, 2DS, etc. So I'm likely to Switch (see what I did there, LOL). The one key game that will pretty much seal the deal for me on the Switch would be a HD Monster Hunter game (finally!) which I can also carry with me when needed. I also think Nintendo really should revamp their silly Friend system and make it much easier / streamlined.