Resident Evil 7 Will Be PSVR Exclusive for a Year

Resident Evil 7 Will Be PSVR Exclusive for a Year

If you were hoping to dig into Resident Evil 7 on either the Oculus or Vive headset at launch, you’ll have to re-evaluate. According to official Sony advertising, the upcoming horror game’s virtual reality capabilities will be exclusive to the PlayStation VR for a year.

Note that this doesn’t mean that the game is console exclusive. Resident Evil 7 is still stated to release on January 24, 2017 for Xbox One and PC too. Those versions will be standard first-person experiences.

Interestingly, Batman: Arkham VR also has timed exclusivity to Sony – albeit, for a shorter period of time. That deal will expire on March 31, 2017.

Resident Evil 7’s demo was recently updated, adding minor secrets for players to unlock. You can read our hands-on impressions of the VR demo at E3 here.

Source: Eurogamer

Posted by AdamC
On Tuesday 4 Oct 2016 10:13 AM
That's disappointing for VR in general. More accessibility would be better imo

oconnomiyaki
Posted by oconnomiyaki
On Tuesday 4 Oct 2016 10:27 AM
Seeing as the Xbox doesn't even support VR right now, this really only hurts PC players. I guess Sony really do see them as competition, despite the cross-play stuff.

Posted by ptys
On Tuesday 4 Oct 2016 10:56 AM
Put that in your pipe and smoke it... (all five other VR headset owners who this will actually affect). I'm waiting for the wireless Vive.

Posted by Nick2016NZ
On Tuesday 4 Oct 2016 12:07 PM
4 October 2016, 10:27 AM Reply to oconnomiyaki
I've supported Sony ever since the PS1 era, but lately I'm starting to sense they are becoming quite arrogant and almost alienating toward their fanbase, not to mention selfish in some respects. I get that it's just buisness, but things like no mods for Fallout 4 or Skyrim, no EA access, no cross play even though MS was open to it, amongst other things seems anti-consumer to me. I think MS have been doing a much better job of things lately. Rant over.

Posted by Ron
On Tuesday 4 Oct 2016 4:00 PM
This game in VR better be great - I'm looking fwd to it for sure!

Posted by CoffeeAddict
On Tuesday 4 Oct 2016 5:22 PM
Hmm i didn't know that Batman was a timed exclusive. Hopefully not to many issues when the game is released on the PC VR platforms.

Posted by cortez72
On Tuesday 4 Oct 2016 9:17 PM
4 October 2016, 10:13 AM Reply to AdamC
That's disappointing for VR in general. More accessibility would be better imo
I'm positive this VR thing isn't going to take off. It seems like a great idea, all the tech demos have been amazing. But I think the novelty of wearing a headset will wear off.

If my hunch is correct having the title locked to a year exclusive might represent the lifetime of VR phenomenon. But only time will tell!