[UPDATE 2] PS4 Neo Unveiled as PS4 Pro, Gets Date and Pricing

[UPDATE 2] PS4 Neo Unveiled as PS4 Pro, Gets Date and Pricing

UPDATE 2: Sony has officially confirmed the New Zealand pricing of the PlayStation 4 Pro, and slimmer PS4 SKUs.

• PlayStation 4 Pro: $639.95 RRP, available November 10
  • PlayStation 4 Slim:
    • 500GB model, $489.95 RRP, available September 16
    • 1TB model, $569.95 RRP, available September 29

Update: Thanks to community member oconnomiyaki, the Pro looks to cost around $649 NZD, if pricing form Mighty Ape is to be believed. We'll come back and update this if it changes.

Enjoy your bonus points, oconnomiyaki!

Original story follows.

As predicted, Sony unveiled their new hardware variants for the PlayStation 4 today during their press meeting at New York. The PlayStation Neo has been given an official name – the PlayStation 4 Pro – and been given a price and date. The PS4 Slim has also been confirmed, following weeks of leaked information as units somehow found their way into the wold.

The PS4 Pro features multiple hardware upgrades over its predecessor, including a 1TB hard drive, and double GPU power.

"Our goal is to deliver high-fidelity graphical experiences," said Mark Cerny, the system’s lead architect. "We aim to provide developers with tools to further their visions."

Multiple games were shown running on the Pro, including Insomniac’s upcoming Spider-Man title, hack-and-slasher For Honor from Ubisoft, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Watch Dogs 2. Cerny went on to say that patches for “over a half-dozen” Sony titles are in the works to take advantage of the Pro’s new hardware, with third-party developers also contributing.

HDR support will be added to all current PS4 models via a system update next week.

The PlayStation 4 Pro is set to release on November 10, for $399 USD. We’ll update this story when New Zealand pricing becomes available.

Source: GameSpot

oconnomiyaki
Posted by oconnomiyaki
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 8:32 AM
Mighty Ape confirmed the price at $649ish. They say $638 but they always go under RRP by a bit. Said they got the price from Sony themselves.

Also, the PS4 Pro doesn't have 4K Blu-ray support. What on earth?

Posted by Outlaw213
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 9:15 AM
Was expecting more but I think I will still upgrade - at least it's priced nicely. Since they didn't show any specs I'm guessing they're still trying to squeeze / overclock it as much as they can. If the Scorpio was available this year the PS4Pro wouldn't do so well..

Then again, I see Scorpio as Microsoft's way of kick-starting the next-generation ahead of its time, they did it with the original Xbox. Although the Xbox One is doing well, falling just behind the PS4, it would be smart for Microsoft to start the next-gen race early.

It's not like Sony can come out with yet another console next year to compete with Scorpio,,,well they could but that would be way way too soon.

Posted by Dvst8u
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 9:17 AM
to be slightly negatiive. it looks ugly. i know most are hidden in cabinets etc. but looks ugly.

Posted by Outlaw213
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 9:20 AM
8 September 2016, 09:17 AM Reply to Dvst8u
That it does...

Posted by Xaphriel
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 9:21 AM
I'm not sure I'll be buying Sony's Stairway to 4K, since the only thing I actually care about there is the bigger hard drive and maybe a little boost in framerate. Bit much otherwise, and I could probably achieve the same if I stopped being lazy and just installed a new hard drive.

oconnomiyaki

Mass Effect Andromeda
Final Fantasy XV
Dishonored 2
Skyrim Special Edition

Posted by Bank
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 9:38 AM
Well that easily saves me money. Thanks!!

Posted by birdman
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 10:02 AM
8 September 2016, 09:38 AM Reply to Bank
Well that easily saves me money. Thanks!!
This! It has most definitely placed it into (what I had already guessed would be) a "buy only if my current PS4 is pakaru" scenario.

Posted by cortez72
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 10:28 AM
I need to upgrade my hard drive. Do I buy a replacement drive for my current machine or one of these at only 1Tb, with a slim design or some slight performance up-grades... decisions decisions.

Posted by SouthSieeda
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 11:20 AM
At the moment, I think I will try and obtain a shiny new 4K TV, so if and when my PS4 dies, I'll be ready for the Pro.
That said, I sense that the Hype Train has barely left the station. I'm also going to try and not be flattened by it.

Posted by czk51
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 12:05 PM
will probably sit this one out, at least in the early stages. Will be interesting to see side by side comparisons between the PS4 vs PSP games.

Posted by I3ridgeI3urner
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 12:07 PM

This article points out that it is not true 4K, as even gaming rigs struggle to output at native 4K, but points out that HDR may be the bigger selling point, providing you have a screen capable of displaying it.

Posted by Altom905
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 12:27 PM
8 September 2016, 10:28 AM Reply to cortez72
That's a $500 question !!
Hard drives are cheap and very easy to swap.

Posted by Altom905
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 12:30 PM
8 September 2016, 09:17 AM Reply to Dvst8u
It's a bit like me, the only time I notice is when I look on the mirror.

Posted by Bunnny
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 12:49 PM
Way lower than I thought... Interesting. 4k Blue ray must be coming later.

Posted by CoffeeAddict
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 12:51 PM
Well I only think i'll only go for it if once comparisons between the PS VR running on the regular vs pro come out and show that there is a big difference. If there isn't I'm only going to grab this if my PS4 dies.

On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 1:20 PM
Soi uh whats so pro about it, double gpu power, i could tape two ps4s together and maybe get 1080p 60fps on all my games

Posted by mchumdinghy
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 4:15 PM
I would happily swap out 4k for some more frames per second and a better PSN. Or even better, Sony should go and create some more first party studios to make more great games

Posted by Goonertron
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 5:27 PM
Sold my ps4 after uncharted 4 for 450, so 640 is an awesome price. Will BF1 support it?

Posted by atipuss
On Thursday 8 Sep 2016 8:10 PM
Amazing price if eb tradein apply on launch day :)

On Friday 9 Sep 2016 1:10 AM
I love it when people say graphics don't matter, then go sh*t crazy about up-scaled graphics, i want everyone to know, they don't say it's native 4k, it will be upscaled 1080p, doesn't have a 4k blue ray player, new zealand internet isn't even good enough to steam 4k yet? unless you pay much more, the games will look better in 1080p and have better details, so that's good. Price of a 4k tv to play on 1080p is horrendous.

Posted by ninja
On Friday 9 Sep 2016 12:53 PM
NO Bluray 4K playback - sad!!

Braveheart_NZ
Posted by Braveheart_NZ
On Friday 9 Sep 2016 2:54 PM
I was a bit taken aback and disappointed that this so called 4K UHD premium product, Sony kept plugging this console as, wouldn't have 4K UHD Blu Ray support. It's not a premium UHD product if it can't play 4K Blu Ray disks and only supports standard Blu Ray disks. This is quite surprising from a company who were one of the pioneering companies behind Blu Ray and UHD and are pushing 4K HDR TV's. I am also assuming since Sony will be selling stand alone 4K Blu Ray machines that they don't want to encourage taking sales away from those players, just like what happened with the PS3 which had quite good Blu ray support, taking sales away from their stand alone Blu ray players back then.

People were wondering what HDR Sony will be using in the PS4 Pro since they didn't mention it. I am assuming HDR10 since I just bought one of their 2016 premium HDR 4K TV's (65X9300D) a few weeks back and the only HDR support they have on it is for HDR10 and not HDR Dolby Vision so that speaks loudly what HDR they will support on the new PS4 Pro.