Pokémon Go Faces Lawsuit

Pokémon Go Faces Lawsuit

Pokémon Go developer Niantic could be in hot water, as a Detroit couple has filed a class-action lawsuit against the company.

In a report from the Detroit Free Press (via GameSpot), Scott and Jayme Dodich are trying to stop wild monsters from appearing on or near private properties without the owner’s blessing. The lawsuit also asks for a share of the game’s revenue for having helped in raising its popularity.

According to the lawsuit, the couple live near the public Wahby Park which is a Pokémon Gym – attracting “hundreds” of people a day.

"Nobody gets sleep anymore," the lawsuit says. "How is this acceptable? ... They hang out on our lawns, trample landscaping, look in vehicles ... We don't feel safe ... I don't feel safe sitting on our porch."

"Defendants have shown a flagrant disregard for the foreseeable consequences of populating the real world with virtual Pokémon without seeking the permission of property owners," it goes on.

Have you had anyone show up on your property playing Pokémon Go? Let us know in the comments below!

Posted by ninja
On Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 9:23 AM
Only in America

Posted by Zolen
On Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 9:28 AM
I guess it was just a matter of time .. actually I kinda get it esp around factories etc.

oconnomiyaki
Posted by oconnomiyaki
On Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 9:38 AM
"Have you had anyone show up on your property playing Pokémon Go?"

Admittedly, I don't have a large, sprawling private property, but I don't imagine it would ever happen since you pokémon appear from quite a distance from your current location. When I was in hospital recently I was able to catch pokémon from down the street even though I was stuck in a bed. So there's certainly no reason to go for a "look in vehicles".

I'd say that this case would be thrown out when the facts are examined in court -- how can any company be liable for the overzealous actions of its customers? -- but when it comes to American lawsuits I've seen that the outcomes are usually anything but sane.

Posted by Xaphriel
On Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 10:24 AM
Ugh. That's like suing Toyota because someone crashed their Prius, a game can't take the blame for the idiots playing it. 'Mon appear from like 50 meters away, and you don't need to physically look for them. This couple sees a chance to grab some cash, and is bullsh*tting about things they don't understand to do so. I repeat: ugh.

Posted by Bunnny
On Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 10:32 AM
17 August 2016, 09:38 AM Reply to oconnomiyaki
"Have you had anyone show up on your property playing Pokémon Go?"

Exactly.

I think they may get a settle out of court situation.

Posted by Silvon
On Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 10:50 AM
17 August 2016, 10:32 AM Reply to Bunnny
Exactly.

I think they may get a settle out of court situation.
Quite possible, even if to just make it go away. Hard to predict what will happen with American lawsuits like this haha.

Posted by OriginalSin
On Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 11:35 AM
A far easier option would be for the developers to shift the GPS location of any pokemon, gym, etc. if their position irritates people in the real world. Seems like they didn't really think through how this would effect peoples lives and this may be the wake up call they needed.
Implement a free-to-call pokepissoff hotline in each country where they spawn, solved.

Posted by Antmannz
On Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 11:59 AM
They're complaining about people visiting a *public park*.

FFS, I hate people.

On Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 1:18 PM
America : "I dont like it... so lets sue". "Its making lots of money, how can we get some... lets sue"
The gym is in a public place, not on their private property. Company cannot control people being on their lawn (which I dont know why they would be considering they are at the park?). It would be like sueing all car companies because people use their driveway entrance to make a 3 point turn.
Just another person in Merica sueing to make money for doing nothing... everyone there seems to want their 15mins of fame, or get money for people/companies anyway they can.

Posted by Kyimo
On Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 2:27 PM
17 August 2016, 01:18 PM Reply to SpawnSeekSlay
America in a nutshell pretty much.

such a joke really.

Posted by CoffeeAddict
On Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 3:14 PM
I've had people show up my work for an appropriate reason and then go hunting the corridors for pokemon. Does seem like a money grab " for having helped raise its popularity' . If it was just a suit to ban pokemon in their area I would take them more seriously.

Posted by piratemonkey
On Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 7:04 PM
Detroit is a scary place these days by all accounts
I can understand the residents being concerned by groups hanging around outside

Also you would have to be a fairly robust character to go Pokemon hunting there

Posted by emetic
On Thursday 18 Aug 2016 2:49 AM
Living next to a public space is a double edged sword, really!

Posted by emetic
On Thursday 18 Aug 2016 2:51 AM
Niantic can just come out and say they're in the process of mapping which areas are accessible to public in a big database for the public good now.

Posted by Romulus
On Thursday 18 Aug 2016 9:41 AM
17 August 2016, 09:38 AM Reply to oconnomiyaki
"Have you had anyone show up on your property playing Pokémon Go?"

The law suit really has two parts to it - a) is it invasion of privacy fro Niantic to stick a pokemon stop on you private property and thereby incentive people to come over? and b) should you get a share of associated revenue?

While I don't agree with part (b), I would say if you are being legitimately bothered by people continually trespassing on your property you have a valid cause of action. Given that Pokemon go players are breaking into the Fukushima No-go Area, I don't doubt that they are annoying some people on private property.