Niantic Is Cracking Down on Pokémon Go Bot Programs

Niantic Is Cracking Down on Pokémon Go Bot Programs

Niantic looks to be cracking down on Pokémon Go cheaters, according to a report from Polygon. In the game’s FAQ page, players who use bot programs or GPS location spoofs may find their accounts terminated. Creators of these tools are also shutting down before the developer threatens legal action.

"Due to legal action being started against other bot creators/devs (we did not receive a letter yet) the Project development will be stopped," said the creator of NecroBot -- a popular cheating tool -- on his GitHub page. Other bots have shut down like HaxtonBot and PokeMobBot, which specifically sites a DMCA takedown.

Players previously caught cheating were soft banned – meaning they could keep playing, but couldn’t catch Pokémon or fight in gyms. Niantic has updated the game’s terms of service to reflect their new stance.

Have you encountered any cheaters in your time with Pokémon Go? Any gyms with owners that seem too powerful to be believable? Let us know in the comments below!

Posted by MonkeyMan
On Monday 15 Aug 2016 2:25 PM
I did see in lectures one guy using his computer to travel to pokestops and collect pokemon from different places. I honestly dont understand the point of cheating though, like there isnt much satisfaction in being the best because all you can do is hold a gym

Posted by AdamC
On Monday 15 Aug 2016 2:27 PM
I'd rather they put as much energy into improving the game than stopping people gps hacking

Posted by Kyimo
On Monday 15 Aug 2016 2:55 PM
good on them, hopefully they put the same amount of effort into new features and improvements.

Posted by Romulus
On Monday 15 Aug 2016 3:25 PM
I don't get why people would cheat in this game? What is the point?

Posted by Zolen
On Monday 15 Aug 2016 4:21 PM
Wow people still play this ... (jk) really tho I can understand why people out in the rural areas feel they need to bot or GPS hack seen as the have no pokestops around them (which I suppose is a bit unfair compared to city folk. Other than that I can't see why you would.

On Monday 15 Aug 2016 6:41 PM
15 August 2016, 03:25 PM Reply to Romulus
I don't get why people would cheat in this game? What is the point?
People cheat is everything, the reason could be just because? or maybe they are super lazy and want to brag, or maybe they are losers,

Posted by piratemonkey
On Monday 15 Aug 2016 7:07 PM
15 August 2016, 03:25 PM Reply to Romulus
I don't get why people would cheat in this game? What is the point?
There will be a handful of Geographic specific pokemon the feeling seems to be
Tauros, Kangaskhan, Mr. Mime and Farfetch'd
US , Australia , Japan only ect ect
People will try all sorts of crazy shenanigans to catch em all