Development on New Mortal Kombat Movie Continues

Development on New Mortal Kombat Movie Continues

Development on a new Mortal Kombat movie is continuing, according to an interview IGN had with director James Wan (The Conjuring, Furious 7, Aquaman). The Hollywood luminary – who will be a producer on the project – said that it may be a while before we see it.

“It's still cooking away. With that particular project, that's a really cool property that I loved growing up as a kid,” said Wan. “Besides the game, even the movies as well, I kind of enjoyed them for what they are.”

“The key here is to try and do it right,” he added. “I don't want to rush into it. So right now, we're just trying to take our time to make sure it's heading in the right direction. I think that's more important than trying to rush through it and pump up something that no one likes.”

What would you like to see in a Mortal Kombat movie? Who would you like to see acting and directing? Let us know in the comments below!

Posted by LukeB
On Thursday 11 Aug 2016 2:08 PM
I was a fan of the Mortal Kombat: Legacy series that hit YouTube a few years back - was really hoping that was the tease to a major cinematic movie or on-going series to be coming out.

As long as the action is good, and the story simple, but well told I'll be happy. The original movie is still a fun flick to watch, the key is to treat it seriously, but get the humor of the situation from certain character's points of view. Would love a straight-up cinematic version of the 2011 MK game, that had a great story that basically both rebooted, retold, and kept the original 3 games in-canon in the same way the 2009 Star Trek movie did to the OG ST series.

Posted by emetic
On Thursday 11 Aug 2016 5:14 PM
It's good to know it's started, but more important is how they... finish it.

There are so many schlocky directors who could do this justice. I'm thinking maybe John Waters would be cool.

Posted by emetic
On Thursday 11 Aug 2016 5:16 PM
11 August 2016, 05:14 PM Reply to emetic
It's good to know it's started, but more important is how they... finish it.

I mean this in a positive way though. I don't want to see another blockbuster, high budget movie which takes itself way too seriously and tries to be all gritty and dark. A lovingly made, bad movie would be better.

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Thursday 11 Aug 2016 7:21 PM
Sweet really enjoyed the first movie, second was a bit average but would certainly be keen to see another. Plus James Wan on board can't be a bad thing.

Posted by predatorhunter
On Thursday 11 Aug 2016 8:01 PM
I'm hanging out for a new MK movie. Hope they don't stuff it up.

Posted by BlakeyNZ
On Friday 12 Aug 2016 1:06 PM
Could be good but as long as its story based and not gore based we don't need another game based movie that people use as an excuse to call games stupid.