Pokémon Go Updated

Pokémon Go Updated

Developer Niantic released a patch for their augmented reality monster catching game Pokémon Go. The update includes a number of safety reminders to the game (like not driving while playing), but a number of quality-of-life changes are also present.

Such changes include the ability to change your nickname, and battery saver fixes for iOS users. What isn’t mentioned in the patch notes (but was picked up on by GameSpot) is a change to the “Nearby” feature, which has been replaced by “Sightings.”

Pokemon Go August 8 Patch Notes:

• Added a dialog to remind Trainers that they should not play while traveling above a certain speed. Trainers must confirm they are not driving in order to continue playing.
  • Made improvements to the accuracy of a curveball throw
  • Fixed a bug that prevented ”Nice,” ”Great,” and “Excellent” Poké Ball throws from awarding the appropriate XP bonuses.
  • Fixed achievements showing incorrect Medal icons.
  • Enabled the ability for Trainers to change their nickname one time. Please choose your new nickname wisely.
  • Resolved issues with the battery saver mode on iOS and re-enabled the feature.
  • Added visuals of Team Leaders Candela, Blanche, and Spark.
  • We’re currently testing a variation of the “Nearby Pokémon” feature with a subset of users. During this period you may see some variation in the nearby Pokémon UI.
  • Minor text fixes

PE0PLEKN0WME
Posted by PE0PLEKN0WME
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 2:12 PM
They need to have a feature for finding Pokemon as walking around aimlessly is too tedious. The footprint idea if it worked would have been perfect. A hotter/colder type system

Posted by acedumbunny
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 2:15 PM
9 August 2016, 02:12 PM Reply to PE0PLEKN0WME
The foot prints idea did work, they just had to remove it due to server strain (from what I've heard).

Posted by Romulus
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 2:24 PM
I love the reminders not to play while driving :D

Posted by Bank
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 2:41 PM
Sooooo story time... I sold a game on TradeMe:

When the buyer rocked up to the top of my driveway he was standing with his daughter looking confused and both checking her phone/device. They were standing for a while. I assumed they were making sure it was my house so I preemptively went to meet them at the door to assure them.

"Sorry I was just playing Pokemon Go with her haha"

I enjoyed that. Never touching the game myself though so I forgot to relate to him with words. Should've said something like "Damn the hype has infected you too?!"

Posted by Bank
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 2:42 PM
9 August 2016, 02:41 PM Reply to Bank
Sooooo story time... I sold a game on TradeMe:

"Sorry I was just playing Pokemon Go with her haha"

This was a clean race-car-driver-looking middle aged man.
The game was also Project Cars lelz.

PE0PLEKN0WME
Posted by PE0PLEKN0WME
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 3:24 PM
9 August 2016, 02:15 PM Reply to acedumbunny
Never once worked for me. No matter where I was the Pokemon on screen would always have three footprints number neath them regardless of how far I walked in certain directions

Posted by Xaphriel
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 3:46 PM
More variety of loading screens would still be welcome.

Posted by acedumbunny
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 4:54 PM
9 August 2016, 03:24 PM Reply to PE0PLEKN0WME
How long into it's release did you join? It worked for about the first week or so before they got the 3 foot prints thing for me.

Posted by emetic
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 5:24 PM
Epic update! The grass thing is cute.

Posted by emetic
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 5:37 PM
9 August 2016, 04:54 PM Reply to acedumbunny
Yeh I;m trying to think back to the first week of release... and yeah I think it was working then, and I was surprised that it was less helpful than the distance measurement used in the beta. Then everything went to showing three "feet". Weird.

Posted by emetic
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 5:45 PM
I'm glad the pokevision and similar services are down (especially paid apps which actually charge for the service!) since it was arguably a cheat advantage and slammed the servers.

It'd be real nice if the in-game radar did actually work though, just saying.

On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 5:53 PM
People still play this? im glad it's dying, sick of seeing pokemon go allover mah feed.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

PE0PLEKN0WME
Posted by PE0PLEKN0WME
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 6:57 PM
9 August 2016, 05:53 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Yet you have made the effort to come here and comment. Sigh...

Posted by dark_hadou1
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 10:25 PM
It'll be interesting to see what Niantic actually make of this game in the coming months, after not logging in for a week or so, the changes they've made have already made it much more playable.

Nice to just have it cranking while I'm walking the dogs, hatch some eggs etc :)

120 individual entries and counting

Posted by Mattress
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 11:00 PM
Still enjoying this game most days when I go for a walk. As others have mentioned, really hope they sort out the tracking issue as that would really make it a lot of fun.

Posted by emetic
On Tuesday 9 Aug 2016 11:01 PM
9 August 2016, 05:53 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
I don't thumb down often, but that was uncalled for. Why not just click "see fewer posts like this" on your feed, or maybe if you're sick of having to read what your friends are doing you should reconsider your friends.

Posted by ChimeraNZ
On Wednesday 10 Aug 2016 8:05 AM
Good to see them fixing some of the broken stuff, but at this point in time I need more to do in it before returning. With No Mans Sky and Legion around the corner, just don't have the time!

Posted by MonkeyMan
On Wednesday 10 Aug 2016 10:39 AM
Its kinda impressive they keep coming with the updates. Hopefully they keep it up cus they still have a fair bit of work to do to win people back over

Posted by emetic
On Wednesday 10 Aug 2016 5:31 PM
10 August 2016, 10:39 AM Reply to MonkeyMan
They can't win people back over, I don't reckon. Everyone's really precious about how games have to be perfect and bug free for them to deign to spend their time on these days and those people will never be happy. The ones who are happy to potter away with the casual Disclaimer: I'm completely talking out of my ass here for the sake of a +1 post, as usual.

Posted by emetic
On Thursday 11 Aug 2016 5:06 PM
Go go go
pokemon go

Posted by gooseman77
On Friday 12 Aug 2016 2:32 PM
any word on when they are going to "fix" the Battle Girl, Fairytale Girl and Punk Girl medals to be either gender non-specific or dependant on the gender of your avatar?

Posted by emetic
On Friday 12 Aug 2016 4:24 PM
12 August 2016, 02:32 PM Reply to gooseman77
Oh do those show with the girl names for boy-style avatars too? I never noticed.