Australian Police Station Tries to Keep Pokémon Go Trainers Out

Australian Police Station Tries to Keep Pokémon Go Trainers Out

Pokémon Go launched yesterday, and it appears the game’s GPS-based monster capturing is already creating all sorts of shenanigans: an Australian police station in Darwin is asking players not to enter the premises, where a Sandshrew is hidden.

"For those budding Pokémon Trainers out there using Pokémon Go - whilst the Darwin Police Station may feature as a Pokéstop, please be advised that you don't actually have to step inside in order to gain the Pokéballs [sic]," said the station in a Facebook post. "It's also a good idea to look up, away from your phone and both ways before crossing the street. That Sandshrew isn't going anywhere fast.”

The account then signed off with: "Stay safe and catch 'em all!”

Pokemon Go launched in New Zealand yesterday for iOS and Android.

Source: Eurogamer

Posted by BlakeyNZ
On Thursday 7 Jul 2016 8:48 AM
This is hilarious! Will be great to see how many other places do this now or how many capitalize with signs in windows

Posted by czk51
On Thursday 7 Jul 2016 8:52 AM
My phone was constantly picking up pokemon on my drive home yesterday and had to resist picking it up and catching em. Wonder how long till we see the first Pokemon Go related car crash.

Posted by grdwalker
On Thursday 7 Jul 2016 9:36 AM
more annoying that the servers are down at the moment.

On Thursday 7 Jul 2016 10:26 AM
7 July 2016, 08:52 AM Reply to czk51
Haha same. I've been wondering how many accidents will happen too as it's bloody tempting to pick up the phone or suddenly pull over.

Good to see the police embracing it with humour as opposed to dismissing it.

On Thursday 7 Jul 2016 1:01 PM
Wonder how many people will lose their live's over this.

Posted by Tin-Automaton
On Thursday 7 Jul 2016 3:26 PM
7 July 2016, 08:48 AM Reply to BlakeyNZ
"Buy a sandwich here and we'll let you catch our sweet Geodude.!"

Posted by xmorph
On Thursday 7 Jul 2016 8:04 PM
That's crazy xD There are 2 churches near my work. One is apparently a Pokestop and the other one is a Gym xD.

Posted by piratemonkey
On Friday 8 Jul 2016 11:08 AM
7 July 2016, 08:04 PM Reply to xmorph
a PokeChurch?
what goes on there?

Posted by cortez72
On Monday 11 Jul 2016 6:53 PM
7 July 2016, 08:52 AM Reply to czk51
There was a car accident just up from my work this morning, and the person who told me about it, said Pokemon may have been involved! Sorry if you were the owner of the green Audi which got wasted by an eager young woman hunting Pokemon.