Gaming Myths and Truths

Gaming Myths and Truths

Rumours and videogames have gone hand in hand for years now. From school yard bragging about your uncle who works for Nintendo, to the almost constant leaks that seem to plague new releases. We’re all suckers for a lie or myth, and even with a healthy dose of skepticism, I’m sure you believed in one of these ones.

The Myth: Blowing in Game Cartridges Makes Them Work

The Truth: We all know this one. Blowing into game cartridges was meant to clear the dust off the pins, and allow you to continue playing. In reality it was the removal of the cartridge from the console that helped. Blowing on a cartridge actually damages it. Instead of lightly dusting the pins, making them cleaner and happier, we were actually spitting all over them and causing the pins to corrode.

It actually makes a lot of sense, but as a kid it wasn’t important. I in a hurry to play Puggsy on the MegaDrive, and even my parents didn’t seem too bothered with the proper care of games. CDs and VHS got the same treatment because no one in my family had ever heard of an air duster or knew anything about micro fibre cloths.

Even being the learnt and responsible adult that I am, I still have to force myself to stop when I boot up my GameBoy. Just because it hasn’t happened to me yet, doesn’t mean it won’t.

The Myth: Lara Croft Cheats Could Make Her Naked in the First Game

The Truth: The Lara Croft Nude Code first appeared in 1996, shortly after the debut Tomb Raider game released. Tomb Raider was a popular game, offering adventure, mystery, and atmospheric environments to ogle at. Or you could ogle Lara, who is one of videogames most well known sex icons despite having a rather triangular bosom. From there, it really isn’t that surprising that someone came up with the rumour that you could play through Tomb Raider with Lara in the nude if you had the right code.

This wasn’t restricted to just one game either. Game after game, the Tomb Raider franchise was rumoured to allow you to see nude Lara. Even the 2015 reboot had players clamoring for an “almost topless” glitch from one of the costumes she could wear.

Not once was Lara ever nude, of course. As many times as the game developers said it wasn’t a feature, the rumour came back again and again – like some sort of nude Lara Croft hydra, which still isn’t the weirdest thing the explorer has encountered in twenty years of games.

The end of it is that there never was a nude Lara code, despite many wishing it existed, and there never will be. Unless you count mods of course.

The Myth: It Was Possible to Kill the Duck Hunt Dog in All His Smirking Glory

The Truth: I’ve never played Duck Hunt. Not one single game. Yet I still grew up with the knowledge that you could kill the Duck Hunt dog and wipe that stupid smile off his smug face. You can’t though. At least, not on the NES game with the snappily named NES Zapper.

The developers obviously knew of everyone’s hate for the annoying laughter that followed each miss, because in the arcade version – Vs. Duck Hunt – you could shoot the dog. In a bonus round which had you fire at as many ducks as possible, the dog would jump out of the grass, allowing him to be shot.

Even in Vs. Duck Hunt you can’t kill the dog, rather just maim him and cause him to complain a lot. Though probably not as much as we’ve complained about him.

The Myth: Legendary Pokemon Cheats

The Truth: There were a lot of rumours about how to get legendary Pokemon from the first three sets of Pokemon games. Most of these died down when the DS came out, and you could download Pokemon via codes. We all knew that you could get legendary Pokemon via a GameShark, but that felt like cheating and was very expensive.

As an answer to very few people not having access to a GameShark – and probably just so people could have a fews laughs at the gullibleness of Pokemon players – there were hundreds of forums and websites offering various cheats and glitches for you to take advantage of. From cloning Pokemon, replicating items, and catching Safari Zone Pokemon outside of the Safari Zone, we all probably tried at least one.

The most famous of these myths was that Mew could be found under the truck parked next to the S.S. Anne. To do this you needed to come back with both Surf and Strength (as well as the badges to use them) without having gone on the S.S. Anne. This meant you had to trade a Pokemon with cut from another game so you could continue with the story. To attempt this you had to start a new game and spend hours hoping it would work.

It didn’t. There was no Mew hidden under the truck.

There was however, another way to get Mew in Pokemon Yellow that included battling specific trainers past nugget bridge, capturing an Abra and teleporting away from a battle. In the end though, you could glitch a Mew for yourself. All that meant however, was that I believed every other legendary Pokemon glitch for the next two games.

I spent hours in front of the Ilex Forest shrine trying to get a Celebi that just didn’t exist without an event.

The Myth: Polybius Was Secret CIA Brainwashing

The Truth: I’ve got a headache, I’ll finish this one later.

Continue reading on page 2.

On Friday 6 Oct 2017 11:56 AM
Lara croft was never naked, until someone modded her to be,

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

Posted by Coddfish
On Friday 6 Oct 2017 12:41 PM
Ahhh, the hours upon hours I spent trying various tasks to resurrect Aeris.

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 6 Oct 2017 1:03 PM
6 October 2017, 11:56 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Lara croft was never naked, until someone modded her to be,
PC GAMING WINS AGAIN BOYS

Posted by Bank
On Friday 6 Oct 2017 1:11 PM
6 October 2017, 01:03 PM Reply to Syn-Ryn
PC GAMING WINS AGAIN BOYS
LONG LIVE LORD GABEN.

Posted by vanke499
On Friday 6 Oct 2017 1:14 PM
I spent countless hours trying to get Mew under that truck! guess I was one of the gullible idiots. I remember the Missingno glitch could replicate your items if you had it in the right slot, hello infinite masterballs!

Posted by NZBuc
On Friday 6 Oct 2017 1:37 PM
enjoyed this - would have been nice to have a few more verified myths too :)

On Friday 6 Oct 2017 1:41 PM
6 October 2017, 01:11 PM Reply to Bank
LONG LIVE LORD GABEN.
Well Gabe did make Pc gaming the monster it is today. at least in most of the world.

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 6 Oct 2017 1:57 PM
6 October 2017, 01:41 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
shouts 2 the monopolization of PC game distribution, pioneering microtransactions, and the birth of video game DRM

Posted by cortez72
On Friday 6 Oct 2017 2:03 PM
Awesome list. I definitely heard these gems and more. "Sheng Long" anyone (although, technically it's a viral April fools but achieved myth status in an age before the internet).

On Friday 6 Oct 2017 2:19 PM
GREAT read Bronwyn. Very entertaining list. Some I knew about and some were total news to me :)

My early gaming days are limited in scope too but I did play the sh*t out of Duck Hunt and spent many hours trying to shoot the dog.

The TR one was infamous even for me who never liked the original games.

And SO many hours lost trying to get mew around the SS Anne.

Thanks for the entertaining read.

On Friday 6 Oct 2017 2:21 PM
6 October 2017, 11:56 AM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Lara croft was never naked, until someone modded her to be,
UMMMMM did you read the article? Or even the part you decided to comment on? your entire comment was included in it but with more detail.

On Friday 6 Oct 2017 2:56 PM
Fun read.
I definitely remember jumping Mario over the flagpole :D

Posted by Coddfish
On Friday 6 Oct 2017 4:04 PM
6 October 2017, 01:57 PM Reply to Syn-Ryn
Syn-Ryn dropping hit after hit, I love it.

Posted by Wozza
On Friday 6 Oct 2017 4:11 PM
Biggest one I remember was jumping the car into the helicopter on Sega Rally would give you a free round.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Friday 6 Oct 2017 5:19 PM
6 October 2017, 01:57 PM Reply to Syn-Ryn
Special shoutout to the number 2 in the post, as it seems to be where GabeN stops counting!

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Friday 6 Oct 2017 5:21 PM
The god damn Golden Warthog of Headlong in Halo 2....

On Friday 6 Oct 2017 6:06 PM
6 October 2017, 01:57 PM Reply to Syn-Ryn
Monopolizing or birthing, different people see different things, but hey at least they don't charge membership fees, and you can always choose to use another service,

oh and how are those refunds and name changing features on ps4 going? better to have the choice to choose another service on your platform or choice.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Friday 6 Oct 2017 8:08 PM
6 October 2017, 06:06 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy

You make PC gamers look like a***oles.

On Friday 6 Oct 2017 9:14 PM
6 October 2017, 08:08 PM Reply to ChieftaiNZ
You make PC gamers look like a***oles.
Hey hey hey, i don't represent anybody except myself, and if you think i do, you're an idiot,

On Friday 6 Oct 2017 9:22 PM
6 October 2017, 08:08 PM Reply to ChieftaiNZ
You make PC gamers look like a***oles.
but if stating facts make me sound like an a***ole, them im an a***ole who states facts.

Posted by CoffeeAddict
On Saturday 7 Oct 2017 10:04 PM
Remember the 'All Bond' unlock for Goldeneye on the N64. Where you could play as any of the previous bonds in multiplayer. Apparently its in the code......

Posted by vanke499
On Tuesday 10 Oct 2017 10:15 AM
I remember there was a myth that you could fly a plane in GTA 3, of course there was the hilarious Dodo which was a plane but couldn't fly because it didn't have wings (What!). I am sure there are many of us that tried our best to get it to fly but you could never stay in the air for more than 20-30 seconds until you crashed. Flying was a welcome addition in San Andreas, finally the dream was realised!

Posted by MadDudeHorse
On Tuesday 10 Oct 2017 10:35 AM
10 October 2017, 10:15 AM Reply to vanke499
The Dodo was able to be flown, albeit very poorly. The trick was to dip the nose every few seconds to prevent stalling, spend a good chunk of time perfecting that.
Speaking of the old GTA games, there was a cheat code that made cars fly in Vice City once they reached a certain speed, however the cars had no propulsion once airborne. The best part about it is that it did not only apply to the car you were driving but to all cars. I would get police wanted levels then park on a bridge, as the cops rushed over their cars would lift off and I could steer them off the bridge and into the water.