Top 5 Problems with Pokemon Go

Top 5 Problems with Pokemon Go

We have now passed the one year anniversary of Pokémon Go – the GPS touting, pocket monster catching, rootinest tootinest game around. It saw an outstanding launch, followed by a strong drop off in players – but crazy die-hard fans still log in to catch some more ‘mons every day. Despite over a year of being in the wild, the game still has some major issues. Here are my top five biggest annoyances with the game.

5. IV Stats Aren’t Surfaced

For those who don’t know, IV stats are the hidden attributes that each Pokémon has. A higher IV means the Pokémon can get higher attack, defence, and HP before it maxes out. IV is brutally important to those who want to fight and hold Gyms; if you catch 100 Pidgeys, you want to know which one to strengthen up so you don’t waste that valuable Stardust.

Yet despite the obvious usefulness of this information, Niantic has decided to hide it in the background. Third party apps have been built that will surface your ‘mon’s IV, but Niantic manages to block them. I can’t think of a single justifiable reason for the IV stats to not be presented in PoGo; it causes unnecessary frustration.

4. Regional Pokémon

Regional Pokémon frustrate the hell out of me. Unless you’re going to travel around the world after each update, you can’t catch all the available Pokémon. It seems crazy to me, despite there being at least two ways it could be implemented without being too exclusionary.

The first would be if the game allowed trading, it would still be hard to get all the regional ones, but would be feasible without thousands of dollars of airfares. The second would be to allow the regional Pokémon to be hatched worldwide. It still leaves the novelty of them in place, but letting our old friend RNG give everyone the chance of getting one.

3. The Drip Feed of New Pokémon

In its year, Pokémon Go has drip fed us Pokémon from Gen 2, but still hasn’t even finished Gen 1 yet. There was the initial event which introduced the possibility to hatch baby Pokémon from Gen 2. Then later more Gen 2 Pokémon were released into the wild, which I won’t lie, was a great week. But even if you fly around the world collecting all the Pokémon available, you won’t get all of Gen 1 as they are still holding them back.

It looks certain that the legendary Pokémon from Gen-1’s will be released as the hardest tier of Raids, but that fact that after 12 months they haven’t reared their heads yet blows my mind. A few more Pokémon, released regularly would be so much more satisfying, and completing a Pokédex would help out the insane collectors in us.

2. The Gym Bug

There are basically two gameplay elements in Pokémon Go. Catch a Pokémon by swiping up, or changing ball type and swiping up. The other is fighting gyms by tapping a lot, and sometimes holding your finger on the screen. Both relatively simple. Yet Gyms have a massive bug that has been there since day one, causing major issues regularly.

The Gym bug happens when you dodge an enemy’s attack. Quite often it takes the damage off your Pokémon as if the attack landed, then puts the health back on. If the health lost initially was more than the amount left then it gets rid of your Pokémon, before bringing it back. Then the game has a little stroke as it brings your Pokémon back, puts it back out, brings it back, then puts it out again.

On occasion, it will still let you fight as it still – incorrectly – shows your health bar. More regularly though, while it’s switching back and forth, your opponent will keep landing hits that will eventually knock your Pokémon out which can be the difference between beating a gym or not.

Since the overhaul of the Gym mechanics the bug has become less prevalent as there is a halt in gameplay when you lose your Pokémon, but it’s still there. In fact, since the update the health going up and down randomly happens more erratically meaning you can waste valuable seconds in a raid.

1. I’m Still Playing It

I’m still playing the game, every day. I jump in to spin a stop and catch a Pokémon for the daily bonuses, have the app running while I walk to work to hatch some more eggs, then catch Pokémon on the way to get more stardust so I can slightly level up my top Pokémon.

Before I know it, a few seconds becomes a few hours. As much as I want to pretend I’m casual, I still spend multiple hours every day playing this game, including multiple hours every other Friday reclaiming Gyms. I have delved into some deep parts of the Hutt I thought I would never see chasing nests.

I regularly whine about the faults of the game, yet it has its claws firmly placed in me. This seems mostly tied with a fear of missing out. If I don’t get my daily bonuses, there is the fear that one day I will play again and regret being so far behind.

So, despite its numerous flaws, and there are so many more, myself along with many other complaining players are still playing. How about yourselves dear readers? What are your annoyances with Pokémon Go? Do you still play casually, or compulsively like I do? Let us know in the comments below.

Posted by AdamC
On Wednesday 19 Jul 2017 3:18 PM
Damn I'd forgotten about this game almost. I liked the regional Pokemon idea though. Seems pretty cool.
Can be annoying if ya really like the mon but still. A neat feature imo

Posted by Booker_T_SUCKAAA
On Wednesday 19 Jul 2017 3:47 PM
I took time off playing Pokemon Go recently, as it was taking up a lot of my time and I had deadlines at work to focus on. I even removed the app from my phone.

I think it lasted 8 days before I re-installed the app and returned to my daily routine of playing! I'm a sucker for the 'gotta catch em all'.

My line is that I use Pokemon Go to encourage me to get out and walk/ run and this school holidays it's been true (weird how my fitbit says I've gone 5km but the eggs I'm walking on register 3km!). But I also am known to pace around the house to tip the total over to hatch an egg.

Slightly addicted? Guilty as charged!

Posted by kniteowl
On Wednesday 19 Jul 2017 4:04 PM
THIS. So much this... Despite all its problems I'm still playing the damn game!

Posted by Ryzlin
On Wednesday 19 Jul 2017 6:35 PM
I play rather causally. Mainly when I'm already out and about, but that's because I don't have anyone to play with. I dropped it late last year and picked it up again when I went to Japan. I do admin a 4.5k fb page for it though, so its still at least a little popular.

Posted by emetic
On Wednesday 19 Jul 2017 8:04 PM
IVs make no difference to holding gyms and almost no difference in battles.
Regional pokemans are good, there should be more. The original games also made it impossible for a player to catch all of them straight up.
Rampant spoofing and multi-accounting need to be eliminated before trading can be implemented, really.
The gameboy/DS games went years between new generations. PoGo had 2 within the first year.
Stop playing it.

Posted by emetic
On Wednesday 19 Jul 2017 8:26 PM
The gym bug is pretty bad but i feel likeit hasn't affected me lately.

Posted by Mockstar
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 9:40 AM
I would play this game if the combat was like actual pokemon games and you had to fight mon to catch them.

Posted by ChimeraNZ
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 12:44 PM
An idea for regionals is to rotate the spawns or provide events where you can actually find them in other countries. And why the heck does New Zealand not get anything - surely we should get the same as Australia!

Posted by ModifiedSoul
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 2:49 PM
my biggest issue with Pokemon Go is the lack of Mewness..... both of em,

Posted by Killjoy
On Thursday 20 Jul 2017 2:57 PM
Or when you beat a gym and it doesn't allow you to put your pokemon in the gym and the constant lag and disconnections, the games still fun when it works though

Posted by emetic
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 1:17 AM
20 July 2017, 09:40 AM Reply to Mockstar
Yeah that would be pretty cool, i guess. I've read that the Pokémon company vetoed that idea though; they specifically said there should be no battles in the encounters.

Posted by czk51
On Friday 21 Jul 2017 1:24 PM
Once I finished my NZ Gen 1 dex I stopped playing, until the raid features dropped which in-turn changed the pokestop at work into a Gym so it's quite fun to hold during weekdays, and monday morning battle off other teams as they topple our gym over the weekend.

Still, I don't relate to Gen 2 or many more after that so a lot of the love has gone for me.

Posted by Bank
On Tuesday 25 Jul 2017 11:52 AM
#1 Top Problem is that no matter how many gyms I dominate or tournaments I win, every girl still rejects me.

Seriously how can they like a guy who plays a cartoon game with no depth?

Posted by walmeister
On Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 5:11 PM
Had to unload it, cos my wife got behind in levels, and down hearted...