Opinion: The $700 Brick

Opinion: The $700 Brick

This time last year we were counting down the days to the arrival of the eighth generation of gaming consoles.

By the end of September 2013, between the news stories about Grand Theft Auto V online bugs and Kim Dotcom, the Microsoft promotional division was already announcing release day parties and Xbox One giveaways. A few weeks later Sony started its own publicity push, and by the end of October the stories were starting to flow about the games that were shipping on day one. Among them were familiar franchises Forza and Killzone, new titles Ryse: Son of Rome and Killer Instinct, as well as some games we had already been playing like FIFA ‘14. While the hype machine did its job, and everyone was amped to get their hands on the new hardware, the games were a letdown. And, almost a year later we’re still waiting for a great gen-8 game.

Not that mediocre release day games is a new thing. When the PlayStation 2 reached New Zealand in November 2000 the best games you could get were the new FIFA, Ridge Racer, and Tekken. Which were about what you got with the PS4 and Xbox One. But, a year later when I could finally afford a PS2 ($650 on hire purchase - from what I remember) I was able to get the amazing Grand Theft Auto III. This was before the days of digital downloads, when games always had different release dates in North America, Japan, and Europe. By November 2001 not only was GTA III on the shelves here but Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid 2 were rolling out in Japan and the US. So, everyone in the world, no matter what region they were in, had at least one brilliant, industry changing game. Without even taking into account that the PS2 was backwards compatible and could also play DVDs. So even if it had no new games it was still worth buying, and was going to get one hell of a workout straight out of the box.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Even the Xbox was worth getting when it first arrived in 2002. Aside from the fact that it was so big and solid you could fight off a zombie hoard with the thing, there were a lot of great games. Max Payne, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, Silent Hill 2, along with instant Game of the Year contender Halo: Combat Evolved. A brand new console, that would make your whole flat rattle when you turned it on, and it somehow managed to have great games on launch day.

Then the Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles rolled out in 2005/6. The Xbox got here first and with it came all the usual EA Sports games, a new Ridge Racer title, and a couple of months after its PC release, Call of Duty 2. Also, getting a solid workout on PCs was The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Although it was originally down to be a launch day release for the Xbox 360, it was delayed. When it came out around the time we first got our hands on the PS3, it was the only game you really needed. A launch day PS3 with an extra controller, the special base to stop it overheating (yeah right), and a couple of games could set you back a thousand dollars - and playing Oblivion would make it all worthwhile.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

So now we have our eighth generation consoles. We’ve had them for almost a year. Are there any Games of the Year there yet? On launch day we had a few new titles with varying amount of hype around them. Killzone, Ryse, Killer Instinct. None of them even close to the 9+/10 games that Halo and Oblivion were. We got all the sports games again. But all of them, including FIFA and NBA2K, had the feeling that they were last generation games ported to the PS4 and Xbox One. How is that possible? You buy a new console and games have more features, feel more complete, and are simply better on the older consoles. The simple answer may be that developers haven’t had enough time to work with the new hardware. Fair enough. If that’s all there is to it, after almost a year, the great games should be pouring in.

Or they would be if everyone hasn’t been totally focussed on remastering old games. Don’t get me wrong - my love for all things Tomb Raider and The Last of Us, not to mention Metro and Diablo III - is firmly on the record here at NZGamer. But this year I’ve played the HD versions of Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts - more than ten years after I bought and played the originals. A ten year gap. Now I’m expected to buy the same game two years in a row. I got GTA V last year, and I’m expected to buy it again in November. Am I really that stupid? Just because I spent $700 on a new brick… uh, I mean console. Sadly, I am. And I’m ashamed to say I’m looking forward to it. Rockstar - I hate you.

Grand Theft Auto V - coming soon to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One

So, what’s the panacea to lame sport ports and re-mastered re-issues? Infamous: Second Son was good. Just a shame that I never really got into the Infamous games. I like Forza Horizon 2. But then I’ve quite liked a lot of arcade racers. Midnight Club, Burnout, Split Second. I liked them, played them a bit... then never played them again. There’s a chance Forza Horizon 2, no matter how good it is may go the same way. Child of Light and The Swapper got great reviews. But what does it say when small titles are better than the ‘big’ games? Then again, you could always make the argument that the movie and music industries have been that way for years.

But I’m an optimist. I’m still looking forward to some great games on my semi-new console. Far Cry 4 is out very soon, and it’s looking great. Although I liked the over-the-top mod Blood Dragon better than Far Cry 3. Then there’s Battlefield Hardline, Batman Arkham Knight, The Division.... But since they were all pushed back after being due for release this year, there’s no telling how long I’m going to have to wait. If it means they’ll be finished and good, I’ll happily wait. It’s just that while the PS2 and Xbox had great games inside the first year, the very best games tend to come at the end of a console’s lifespan. So it might take a long time.

Batman: Arkham Knight

I can wait. I’ll wait for Mirror’s Edge 2 and Mad Max. Mirror’s Edge was the PS3 game I sunk the most time into, and wrecked the most controllers playing, and Mad Max 1 and 2 are the two greatest films ever made so it should be great game. I’ll wait for The Witcher 3 and The Order 1886, no matter how much they push back their release dates. I’ll wait because I know that sometime in the next seven or eight years, there’s going to be a great gen-8 game. Sometime.

Header image credit: Digital Trends

Posted by AudaciousGnome
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 11:55 AM
Sounds like there just hasn't been a game that YOU like so far.....I'm very happy so far with the games on offer on the PS4 and I know there are many people who would say the same on the Xbox side of things.

Posted by Ubercuber
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 12:18 PM
My PS4 has been pushed to its graphical limits by the 90% of games that I have played on it that are pixel art inspired.

Posted by tom_nz
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 12:21 PM
Wow. Do you even like games? This is such a negative piece of writing. I've loved every second I've played my Xbox One. Although in saying that, I can put that down to the community and the awesome people I regularly play with. IF you don't play multiplayer and IF you don't have mates to share the experiences with then I can see how you wouldn't be enjoying the games that have come out so far.

On Friday 17 Oct 2014 12:39 PM
I waited nearly a year to get my PS4, because I waited for Destiny. I waited for a game or set of games (Witcher 3 and NBA2k15) that are close by that would make it worth it.

You wouldn't go to the hardware store and just randomly buy hammer and nails, but have nothing to build or use them on., its pointless.
So why would you buy a console when none of the games appeal to you.

Its not about your console being a brick, its more about your buying habits and lack of thought into them.
Yeah I could go by a boat today, yeah I can afford it... just. Yeah I love fishing. But am I going to use it? Probably not much. SO... I wont buy one.

reavers
Posted by reavers
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 12:41 PM
I am also anticipating for some great next-gen titles to come out before I make the big purchase. Although I want Destiny and Last of US, they aren't exactly next-gen titles. I have been waiting for FFXIII-Versus (now FFXV) for so long now that it feels like it'll never release lol.

Big titles I am looking at are: Batman, Witcher, The Order. They're on my big bucket list

Posted by birdman
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 12:54 PM
I held off purchasing my PS4 for almost a year as I knew that there weren't any titles that interested me. The only game I was gutted about missing during that time was BF4. with Destiny and BF4 as my only disc version library titles I'm more than happy (especially since BF4 has basically been re-released recently with the post CTE patch).

BritneysSpear
Posted by BritneysSpear
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 1:38 PM
Hey there I am wanting to swap my PS4 for a X1 if anyone is keen on a swap? 2x controllers, BF4, COD Ghosts, Minecraft, charge cable and all cables for console to work.

Posted by atipuss
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 2:21 PM
Great read. its true for me in a way :D I will be and have been buying same/remake game..BF4, FFX,TlOU, GTA5,Diablo3, Halo remaster, pokemon etc...and its true if Skyrim comeout tomorrow I will buy it again just to play on next gen and enjoy it as much as I have oblivion xbox360! :) (Looking forward to TESO ofcause) Next gen is internet base..no internet =no game.(=$700 brick).. and all the future games are likely to have us connect to internet( friends/strangers aka mp) to get the most out of it ... Happy with my ps4 and xb1 BUT ...still waiting

Posted by guido
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 2:31 PM
Times have certainly changed. Games are mega expensive and take time to make, therefore remakes and indies make sense to begin with when the user base is low. We have had games like Resogun and Velocity 2x which are exceptional by all accounts. However we're still a wee way off having lots of dedicated 'next gen' experiences to choose from.

Luckily The Withcher 3 isn't that far away and will hopefully be this gens Oblivion (at least until the next Elder Scrolls arrives). Unfortunately Destiny isn't our Halo as I feel it was heavily feature restrained by having to also work on last gen consoles and also by having a hard set release date of 9/9 meaning many features hit the cutting room floor (listen to the latest Guardian Radio episode where DeeJ uses the word "triage' several times!).

We could hardly say the PS4 or xB1 are bricks but they've not hit their stride yet either. Also, the last gen went out with a bang with the likes of GTA V, The Last of Us, SouthPark: Stick of Truth and Darks Souls 2 all coming out very late in the piece which left many continuing to play on the last gen well into this gen.

Posted by Jakted
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 2:35 PM
i brought my ps4 at the start of the year. it was a bit of a wait to get games but i now own 14 games and are using it alot just wish they had a bigger hard drive lol

Posted by emetic
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 2:54 PM
I am in the same camp as article writer guy: I want to likey xbone, I bought it in the hopes there'd be something, but nothing really special has come out yet. I've enjoyed a few little games but really it's only been turned on for maybe 50 days out of the last year. My ps3 and even 360 have been used just as much.

Posted by Srassy
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 3:05 PM
I've been really enjoying the time with the PS4 but I don't have nearly enough time to clear the backlog. At 36 games already thanks to PSPlus.

Posted by cortez72
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 3:18 PM
I feel much the same as Dene.

I've had a PS4 almost a year now. I was lucky not to have to pay for mine- however, I had no interest in buying one until a game came out which I really wanted.

None of the games out this year for Gen-8 have really grabbed my attention. My PS3 gets a lot of work, but the PS4 was gathering dust until Destiny came out. I was very disappointed by Destiny, now my machine is building another dust layer. Minecraft is the only game which keeps my PS4 on for any length of time, and I was playing that on PS3 prior.

I am also critical of the re-release of last Gen games with a new coat of paint. But I'm a hypocrite, because I have GTAV on pre-order, and as a result of never having played "Last of Us" or "Sleeping Dogs" (and the solid reviews I read here at NZGamer) I will be picking those up.

Hoping Witcher 3 will be the game which provides me a shift from PS3 to PS4 officially.

Posted by Goonertron
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 4:11 PM
I've just been playing the normal games I usually would but they look better, I was playing most of the single player games on the PC Towards the end of the 360 life, but now games look great again, Forza Horizon 2 is probably the best looking I've seen so far and that is even before the 1st year is up,

I am personally waiting for a good RPG something that has lacked for the last 2 years, I'm looking at DA3 and Witcher 3 for that fix also hopefully Fallout 4 gets announced soon.

On Friday 17 Oct 2014 4:46 PM
Audacious, tom and Spawn summed it up really.

I bought my PS4 knowing there wasn't going to be squat for a while, so I wasn't let down. With the way the internet works, we knew months before the consoles were out what to expect. Sure some games were delayed but they have been coming out pretty consistently.

I saved Ascree 4 knowing I would want to play it on PS4, between that, indie titles, MGS, Infamous, Destiny (oh so many hours in destiny) my Ps4 has hardly had a break.

What I take from it is YOU chose to buy a console on or near launch, YOU knew what games were coming out, and now YOU are complaining that only the games you knew were coming out have come out.

I didn't even expect to use my PS4 as much as I have in year 1 , and with the great price point it has comfortably justified the cost.

Yea the remakes of every game annoy me but what I do is...I don't buy the games I don't want to replay.

Its a bit harsh complaining about the games released not being 9's because publishers probably think they are all 10 out of 10's. Id give infamous second son a 9 out of 10 as I absolutely loved it.

The only case that works in your favor is drive club which was a right balls up.

Next gen you should look at the launch window line up and decide if it is worth buying a new "brick" or if its better to wait for games that you like to be released.

TLDR: Don't complain about the product you knew you were getting.

Posted by ninja
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 5:00 PM
All a matter of opinion. Destiny has been good, not the best story but awesome online play and Killzone didnt really hit home with me. Consoles now are all multi-media entertainment systems so games are not the be all, end all of consoles. If you can use it for more like music, movies, social platform then it makes everything better.

Posted by Goonertron
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 5:01 PM
17 October 2014, 12:21 PM Reply to tom_nz
I agree, considering the authors most played game of last gen was Mirrors Edge. A game I loved but you can do everything in that game in 20 hours really shows how much time they have for the hobby in the first place.

Posted by Vicx
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 6:40 PM
17 October 2014, 05:00 PM Reply to ninja
You mean last gen? Because my PS4 after a year still doesn't play movies or music, but my PS3 has been able to since 2006. The PS3 feels a hell of a lot more complete than my PS4 does which is purely a gaming console and nothing more.

Posted by Vicx
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 6:44 PM
Forgot to add, Shadow of Mordor really does seem like the first true new-gen game because of the Nemesis system. Check this article: http://www.destructoid.com/shadow-of-mordor-s-nemesis-system-signals-the-true-beginning-of-this-generation-282160.phtml

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 7:55 PM
Ok so having read everything above I can say I fully understand the point the poster is trying to make....however it really is a case of knowing what to expect, spending your money and then being disappointed you weren't getting better bang for your buck.

The last PS3 and Xbox 360 were 7 year life span consoles with the best games as already pointed out coming out in that last year. These entertainment systems have been touted as having a 10 year life span. I don't think we'll be waiting very long at all to get some great games in fact there's several in the near future (assuming not too many lengthy delays are not inbound) that have me quite excited and I've moved on to being a game renter over a game buyer for games I want to play as opposed to games I must have.

I have 3 - 5 titles releasing in the next 12 months that I just want to buy now during that time I will borrow my friends, rent or play many of the games that are out there already.

I have been lucky in that I've only just got my console though so I am able to sift out some that have not been that great post release compared to their prerelease hype. Roll on Halo MCC, Dragon Age 3, Witcher 3, Dying Light, Halo 5 to name a few I'm likely to own opposed to renting.

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 7:58 PM
Oh and I totally agree with the comments about playing with friends and the gaming community really is where it's at once you've got a great set of online friends to play with or even party with you'll find there's often not a lot of time for single player gaming.

Posted by emetic
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 8:11 PM
17 October 2014, 12:21 PM Reply to tom_nz
I don't think that is a fair call. I spent most of my xbox 360 time playing Forza multiplayer, I had a lot of regular race mates, but with the dearth of quality games on xbone I have stopped racing with them, stopped hosting community nights and dropped out of my race team. I would dearly love to be back racing with all my friends, but firstly and foremostly for that there needs to be a fun racing game.

Posted by toner
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 8:37 PM
Although I don't agree with the author's opinion (I love my XB1 and enjoy the selection of games I own), I can understand WHY he thinks there is a lack of games at the moment of XB1/PS4 gen (sorry Wii U).

My thoughts? Perhaps the evolution of gaming from the 80's until now means that there are so many uniquely original games, that it can be a challenge to come up with an original idea, executed the idea to perfection and market the game appropriately.

But, I am an optimist: WHEN (not IF) a game comes out that is your 10/10 game, rest assured that is will be a fantastic game and worth waiting for!

Posted by Gadgetgamers
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 9:06 PM
To be honest I haven't seen any real game play difference in the new Gen machines compared to the old, I have played both of them and still have the old gen also and both are by the naked eye no different in game speed.

Posted by Daniel5000
On Friday 17 Oct 2014 9:10 PM
Ill be happy when i have the Witcher 3

Posted by The Host of Chaos
On Saturday 18 Oct 2014 12:04 PM
I have to agree with this article. My PS4 has been unplugged for most of the past 6 months and the rest of the time it's hardly been used. Still, there are some really impressive looking titles on the way so it's not all bad.

Posted by koyukon
On Saturday 18 Oct 2014 12:09 PM
mm there's not much on xb1 for me either. Every now and then I'll go on a binge 2 week play and love it. But then it just goes back to being a dust collector, which is fine. The thing that really sucks though is the xb fitness will be subscription based soon. Laaame. Just hogging my 3ds now, there's some good games on it.

Posted by Nibblo
On Saturday 18 Oct 2014 6:20 PM
I really enjoyed Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 on my Xbox One. Also loved Wolfenstein, Shadows of Mordor and Forza Horizon 2 and thats ignoring Alien Isolation, Evil Within, Sunset Overdrive, Master Chief Collection, the new COD and AC Unity coming soon.
Am sure PS4 guys have been enjoying their games and exclusives as well. About the only thing I agree with in this article is that I am also looking forward to re-purchasing GTAV

Posted by mchumdinghy
On Saturday 18 Oct 2014 6:31 PM
I absolutely love my PS4, especially considering I had a 360 last generation so I have recently played the last of us. However I do remember the first time I ever played gears of war on a mates 360 and came away a couple of hours later absolutely dumbfounded that a game that looked that good could even exist. I agree that thus far there hasn't been a game that has defined this new generation but I have had some great experiences so far that have more than justified buying a new console. I am looking forward to seeing what AC Unity, The Witcher, COD and Batman manage to do with the new consoles as these are all games that have been marketed as built for these consoles only rater than both generations. If none of those games make jaws drop then surely what ever Rockstar have in the works will deliver and then there is the in game footage of Nathan Drake that gave me the same feeling Gears of War did a few years back.
Consoles are far from irrevelant and I am confident we will have at least one or two face melters by this time next year.

Tux
Posted by Tux
On Saturday 18 Oct 2014 7:26 PM
Agreed = bought a ps2 mainly because of MGS2. As soon as the game reviews started to come in for that one I was at the store the the next day. Great console, so many classics including the God of War games, FFX, FFXII, Burnout 3, MGS3, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus to name but a few. If I still had one I would consider playing through those games again.

Yes, the gen 8 consoles have nice graphics but nothing so far has really pushed the envelope.

Posted by tom_nz
On Saturday 18 Oct 2014 7:47 PM
17 October 2014, 08:11 PM Reply to emetic
Like Forza Horizon 2 or Forza 5? We have a hell of a lot of fun at community nights for both games. If you have played so much Forza then how can you not like those two games? I skipped Forza 4 so maybe because of that break I am enjoying them more than I would have, I'm not sure.

Posted by emetic
On Saturday 18 Oct 2014 8:28 PM
18 October 2014, 07:47 PM Reply to tom_nz
Humm.. I'm not sure what it is, but Forza 5 is not as good as the previous four. Various little things about make it less fun than it should be - less tracks, no racing wheel support, no clubs - and half my regular mates didn't make the jump to xb1. Maybe that was it.
Horizon isn't my style of game; the first was bad and the demo for the second was worse. I just think that it is like Mario Kart with better graphics, and that is not really my thing.

Posted by tom_nz
On Sunday 19 Oct 2014 7:37 PM
18 October 2014, 08:28 PM Reply to emetic
That's fair enough then. The people I play with definitely make it fun. I've got a really good core group of regulars that come along so that makes a big difference.

Maybe project cars will be what you're after? Fingers crossed ay? Everything I've seen so far looks freakin amazing!

Posted by emetic
On Sunday 19 Oct 2014 9:24 PM
19 October 2014, 07:37 PM Reply to tom_nz

Haha, don't get me started on that again! I have been watching p.cars fr ages, just starting to get really excited, then last week they announced a four month delay and I packed a sh*tty and made angry posts about it on forums. Lol! Yah p.c.a.r.s. looks like my kind of game, you are right. I have Bayonetta 2 lined up soon, that shpuld be good... but still my XBone is not seeing much action, until the new MGS comes out, I guess.

Posted by tuftsdude
On Sunday 19 Oct 2014 11:26 PM
17 October 2014, 12:21 PM Reply to tom_nz
You kinda just answered your own question.

Not everyone has an awesome gaming community to play with like the NZG XB1 reggies. He doesn't have to play multi-player to enjoy this gen, etc.

I think he has a valid point as not everyone 'games' the same. I for one enjoy single player games more than MP (excluding BO2) and wouldn't want to play all the remakes on this-gen cause I've already played them OR can get them cheaper on last gen.

Rahulk
Posted by Rahulk
On Monday 20 Oct 2014 10:11 PM
17 October 2014, 02:31 PM Reply to guido

I agree with what your saying, but I believe destiny was meant to be released in June/July but was delayed to September.

PotatoLegs
Posted by PotatoLegs
On Tuesday 21 Oct 2014 12:35 PM
hmph, article makes sense- consoles are merely interfaces for games to be played on, and if there's nothing that appeals, then why bother? I know I'm not making my way over the the next gen of consoles, because there's nothing yet that qualifies as an incentive to do so.

Admittedly cost is major factor for myself, and I'm happy ATM paying for my xbox live account and getting the free games twice a month to play.

Posted by Outlaw213
On Wednesday 22 Oct 2014 6:29 PM
I'm happy with my PS4 so far and it's only going to get better, yeah the library has been lacking due to so many games being delayed but that's expected when you buy a new console at launch, the next few months are so crowded with so many great titles coming out.

linkdavid
Posted by linkdavid
On Thursday 23 Oct 2014 6:49 PM
My Ps4 is in almost constant use, either playing plants v zombies garden warfare or final fantasy xiv. Now arguably they r both also on pc but its just far more relaxing playing on the couch on a 42 inch tv.

Posted by sliceopie
On Friday 24 Oct 2014 12:23 PM
I can't find enough time or money to get to the games I am DESPERATE to play. Certainly no complaints from day one.

Posted by Winger Gee
On Monday 27 Oct 2014 7:17 PM
One day they are all bricks- but fun bricks along the way.