Opinion: Why The Wii U Is The Right Choice

Opinion: Why The Wii U Is The Right Choice

One? Four? I choose U.

We’ve seen Joel and Morgan’s articles on which console they believe you should be picking up in November, but - while they both have valid points - I can’t help but feel they’ve ignored the other console in the equation. Joel praises the Xbox One for its design, firmware, media capabilities, Kinect functionality, more media capabilities, TV features we’ll likely never see, oh and then some games at the end there, while Morgan focuses on what matters most: the games…. or at least the promise that what we’ve been shown will be good.

I don’t doubt that the two upcoming consoles will each be amazing in their own right, but the latest Nintendo console (while off to a rocky start) has a lot going for it: games, amazing franchises, and fun in every corner. Let me break it down...

Reason One: The Games

Let’s get right into it: the reason you want a new console is for the games you'll play on it. The Nintendo Wii U has already accumulated a fairly decent list of games you can only find on the little console that could.

ZombiU

A fairly rushed launch title for the Wii U, and one met with some mixed reviews, sure, but people who saw ZombiU for what it was - a survival horror, and not an FPS action game - spent their first few weeks with the console immersed in a zombie apocalypse like never before. Having to rummage through your inventory on the GamePad screen, while trying to keep an eye on your TV for any incoming threat, meant players could never really escape the tension. There’s a reason we gave it an 8.5.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

While not the prettiest looking game to be released recently - it is, after all, a port of a 3DS game - it’s definitely one of the most addictive experiences to be found on the Wii U. The Monster Hunter franchise is absolutely enormous and it's easy to understand why; once the game gets hold of you, it just doesn’t let go. Fight monsters to create armour and weaponry so you can take on even bigger monsters; then do it over and over again, offline or online with friends and strangers. I had to be pried away from the Wii U to give this an 8.8 in my review.

Pikmin 3

Nothing showcases Nintendo charm quite like the Pikmin franchise, and number three in the series does just that like never before. With a saturated realistic look, comical interactions between main characters, and a difficulty that punishes those who don’t use their minds, it really is a game for all ages. After not delivering a new Pikmin title for almost 10 years, it was uncertain if Nintendo were going to be able to replicate the magic of previous games in the series. But they did, and you can read more about why we gave it a 9.3 in our review.

The Wonderful 101

From the creators of the Viewtiful Joe series comes one of the most saturated, intense, challenging, and fun titles the Wii U has seen so far, and it all runs at a blistering 60 frames per second. Chuck it on "normal" difficulty and you’ll quickly realise that this Nintendo console is more than capable of supporting a hardcore audience. If you don’t break down and lower the difficulty, you’ll manage to reach a new level of gaming nirvana by the end of the game, be at one with the controller, and ready to replay the stages with your new power-ups. How’d it go? 8.8, thank you very much.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

You might wonder why you’d need to replay a 10 year old title (The Wind Waker, after all, first released for the Nintendo GameCube back in 2003.) You might want to know what Nintendo could possibly do to make paying retail price for a game that’s two generations old worthwhile. Maybe you’d be happy with the game in high def. Maybe you'd also require better lighting and rendering. Some crisper textures? A way to make all that sailing a little less tiring? With too many new features to list, every aspect of the remake improves on the original, making this the definitive version to own. Trust me, there’s a reason we gave it 9.5.

Conclusion #1

The best thing about picking up a Wii U now is that you can also grab a handful of great exclusives, and have no time for anything else until well past Christmas. If that’s not enough for you, there’s plenty of other exclusives coming in the next few months that should have you covered. How does Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Bayonetta 2 sound?

Continue reading on page 2.

Xboxstation
Posted by Xboxstation
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 4:18 PM
In no world is the Wii U the right choice.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

Posted by Khaos_Kiwi
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 4:22 PM
"Why the Wii U is the right choice".

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

Posted by tuftsdude
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 4:58 PM
I reckon you two^^ should read this excellent blog..

Good write-up.

Posted by Mattress
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 4:59 PM
I actually really want a WiiU as I love the Nintendo brand and the unique exclusives they have on their system. But I just can't afford it as I've been saving my pennies for one of the big two consoles. I think the biggest selling point is that you get games and experiences you just can't get anywhere else.

OrkMischief
Posted by OrkMischief
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 5:03 PM
I bought a Wii U day one and love it, but there is no way it will be my only console of choice this generation.

I have always had a Nintendo console along side my Sega MS, Megadrive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PSone, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360 and in the near future a PS4 and XBone. As a long gamer since the 80's it would be a sin to miss out and just stick with one console.

If you're a true gamer you know playing Nintendo's franchises is a must every generation, their games are just that good and are always polished to perfection. Simply put, their games are just pure fun! It's always a nice change playing their games and having something different from all the over stylized games on other platforms.

Nintendo keeps gaming simple and fun, but they're not considered cool anymore with a new generation of kids who's first console was a PS2, Xbox, PS3 or Xbox 360, and that generation is missing out!

Posted by Koopa18
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 5:16 PM
This gen I had a Wii and then picked up a 360 about halfway through. Will probably do something similar again - already have a Wii U and will grab whichever of the others appeals to me most after a few years.

Posted by Coddfish
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 6:01 PM
8 November 2013, 04:58 PM Reply to tuftsdude
I reckon you two^^ should read this excellent blog..

Good write-up.
Or even just read his article - Reagan makes a pretty strong case.

The one thing I think Wii U (and 3DS) really lacks compared to the other two is a strong online infrastructure. I'm not talking about fancy web browsers or reliable multiplayer servers, but simple things like a more standardised friend system (friend codes are absolutely terrible and should never have been replicated on 3D, the ability to create an online profile that you can transfer between consoles should you buy a new one, cross buy functionality for games that exist on both platforms, and so on.

I'm totally fine with Nintendo eschewing the current obsession with consoles being a home entertainment system and focusing on games and fun. But that isn't enough, the whole experience needs to be streamlined and user friendly, especially when you're dealing with a whole family of hardware.

But otherwise, yes, awesome games, awesome franchises. It's definitely time for a new Metroid.

Posted by Coddfish
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 6:02 PM
Read *this* article, ugh. I wish there was an edit function for comments :(

grieving
Posted by grieving
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 6:30 PM
Can we have a Ouya one next?

Posted by tuftsdude
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 6:32 PM
8 November 2013, 06:02 PM Reply to Coddfish
Read *this* article, ugh. I wish there was an edit function for comments :(
I thought they already read it, that's why they commented ^_^

Posted by Jaz
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 7:00 PM
Two posts at the top are COD d*cks. Apparently.

phantom
Posted by phantom
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 7:07 PM
8 November 2013, 06:30 PM Reply to grieving
Can we have a Ouya one next?
I actually do have an Ouya... I could -technically- write something like that (lol)

Posted by fifamessi
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 7:14 PM
Had a Wii and ps3 last(?) gen, already have a wiiu and waiting for ps4...most likely.

Hard to skip out on a whole gen of Nintendo games. Donkey Kong CR: TF, Mario games, Zelda etc.

Sam
Posted by Sam
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 7:30 PM
Awesome work, haven't heard much about this but like it when people go into bad for things they enjoy. Great positive interview and the Wii U looks like a fun device

Posted by Coddfish
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 7:32 PM
8 November 2013, 07:07 PM Reply to phantom
Is that out? I really haven't been keeping on top of it.

To be honest, I'd be keen to see that. Or even just a general review of how well the system works in practice. On paper it has a lot going for it.

phantom
Posted by phantom
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 7:39 PM
8 November 2013, 07:32 PM Reply to Coddfish
Is that out? I really haven't been keeping on top of it.

I'll lend it to you ;)

whataboutki
Posted by whataboutki
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 7:42 PM
You forgot reason Four: The Price.

You can get a Wii U for dirt cheap at the moment. Noel Leeming has the Basic White console for $279 and the Premium Black Console for $379! Even games are cheaper. Lots are on sale for less than $50 and you can get pretty much any new release for $88 max. Then the Warehouse is always putting Wii U games down to $19 or even $9!

Brucenz
Posted by Brucenz
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 8:22 PM
i maybuy a Wiiu just for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

whataboutki
Posted by whataboutki
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 8:49 PM
8 November 2013, 08:22 PM Reply to Brucenz
i maybuy a Wiiu just for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
For the hours alone that you'll put into Monster Hunter it would be worth it.

oconnomiyaki
Posted by oconnomiyaki
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 9:36 PM
8 November 2013, 07:42 PM Reply to whataboutki
You forgot reason Four: The Price.

Add to that the Club Nintendo points and rebates. I bought Super Metroid, SSF2, and Deus Ex and got a $9 voucher.

Online is also free. It might not be as robust as Xbox Live, but if you only dabble on online play, like I do, no subscription fee is a real winner.

The community is nicer to boot, too. :)

Posted by Ubercuber
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 9:50 PM
Id love it if Nintendo had their franchises on other consoles....but Im not ever going to buy a console for like 2-3 games every few years.

Shoel
Posted by Shoel
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 9:52 PM
That's an interesting perspective, and one that possibly holds up for fans of Nintendos franchises. Personally I find next gen a wee bit underwhelming...

Manta
Posted by Manta
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 9:56 PM
Good read. As a long time gamer, I'd have to say that the Wii U isn't even in the battle between PS4 and Xbone, nor should it be. Nintendo offers up a completely different style of game and it can't be argued that as a company, they tend to target the younger end of the market. Also, if any of their previous consoles are anything to go by, racing fans need not apply. There are some amazing exclusives but Mario and Zelda aren't going to appeal to FPS or racing lovers. I reckon the Wii U deserves a place alongside either an Xbox or a PS. They all have their merits :)

whataboutki
Posted by whataboutki
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 10:00 PM
8 November 2013, 09:50 PM Reply to Ubercuber
I currently own 24 Wii U games. Not all exclusive granted.

Posted by baileynz
On Friday 8 Nov 2013 11:51 PM
There is definetly a place for Wii U, it offers something genuinely different and often of a very high standard. The fun factor can be sometimes be overlooked and as long as they keep producing games of such a high quality I'll always buy their console. Luigi's Mansion is a good recent example, even though it was on 3DS, of a game that surprised me on how fantastic it looked but was just so playable. Expecting big things of Super Mario 3D World, crucial release.

whataboutki
Posted by whataboutki
On Saturday 9 Nov 2013 12:17 AM
8 November 2013, 09:56 PM Reply to Manta
I would argue that the Mario Kart series is one of the best racers on any system. It's no GT but it's not meant to be. It's pure racing fun.

sick_wierdo
Posted by sick_wierdo
On Saturday 9 Nov 2013 8:31 AM
What next? Why the Sega Master System is the right choice? Getting ridiculous now, nobody is going for Wii U next gen. The very few that do are kidding themselves, investing in a failing console with no third party support. Developers have stopped making games for it for a reson. Enjoy the next 6 years or so with your Nintendo player.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

sick_wierdo
Posted by sick_wierdo
On Saturday 9 Nov 2013 8:34 AM
8 November 2013, 07:00 PM Reply to Jaz
Two posts at the top are COD d*cks. Apparently.
You're a d*ck

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

whataboutki
Posted by whataboutki
On Saturday 9 Nov 2013 9:11 AM
9 November 2013, 08:31 AM Reply to sick_wierdo
Why are you spreading hate for hates sake? The Wii U is a next gen system that should be included in the discussion. If it doesn't suit your needs than fine. If you'd read any of the other comments it seems to suit others just fine or suit them as a one of the two systems they are planning on getting.

My personal opinion is that the Wii U is a fantastic system that offers a plethora of gaming experiences that will not be available on either of the other two big systems. Do I plan on getting a PS4 or XBOne as well? Yes. They both also offer different gaming experiences albeit very similar to each other (which is way I will not be getting both). But I won't be getting either on release day as I have a huge line up of great games to play at the moment on the Wii U that I can wait for the PS4 to price drop and more games to come out and go on sale.

Basically I just think you are doing yourself as a gamer a huge disservice by completely shunning the Wii U for biased unsupported reasons. (I own a majority number of 3rd party games for the Wii U) I would be interested to know if you have even played a Wii U for an extended period of time.

OrkMischief
Posted by OrkMischief
On Saturday 9 Nov 2013 9:13 AM
9 November 2013, 08:31 AM Reply to sick_wierdo
This site is called NZGamer, because all us Kiwi's who come to this site love and play games in some form and we all play on various platforms. There is a lot of people on here who like Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft and have no problem praising each console for the good games that each has.
It's clear from your posts around this site that you're a Sony fanboy, and fair enough, their hardware is at this stage the best hardware for the 8th gen.
Most of us on this page who like Nintendo and their games will also buy either a PS4 or XBone, or some will even buy both like myself.
We buy all these consoles to PLAY GAMES! The console is merely a tool we use to play and enjoy these games, and you cannot and will not ever get Nintendo games on other platforms which means for those smart gamers that know how good Nintendo's games are. They will need to buy a Nintendo console just to play those games, and it is worth it guaranteed every generation.

And as for your Sega Master System comment. The Master System II had a better launch line up than the PS4 and that's a fact! Alex Kidd in Miracle World is one of the greatest games ever.

Posted by Newsboy
On Saturday 9 Nov 2013 12:30 PM
I honestly was not expecting the response you guys have given when I sat down to write this. Saw the first two replies pop up almost straight away and expected many more like it. They usually say a writer shouldn't read the comments section, but you guys have done me proud. :D

oconnomiyaki
Posted by oconnomiyaki
On Saturday 9 Nov 2013 1:16 PM
9 November 2013, 08:31 AM Reply to sick_wierdo
Six years with a Nintendo player would still be more enjoyable that 99% of the tat that Western developers release on consoles. :P

Posted by KatalystaKaos
On Saturday 9 Nov 2013 7:27 PM
9 November 2013, 08:31 AM Reply to sick_wierdo
And this is coming from someone who owns a Vita????

Really don't get anyone who hates on another system, suggests some serious insecurity issues & likely an inferiority complex.

Each to their own, but ALL systems have something to offer, hell even those that choose to play browser games like Farmville et al are a welcome addition to this hobby all that visit NZGAMER enjoy, BUT especially Nintendo without whom there never would have probably been a Playstation and without that Microsoft would probably never have got interested enough to develop Xbox.

Now another reason why the Wii U is the right choice... Ninty Consoles are a great place to introduce our kids to gaming. Our 3 year old already absolutely loves Mario!!

Posted by Goonertron
On Sunday 10 Nov 2013 5:00 PM
Getting the Xbox just because of their proven online record and my friends list all seem to be keen to stay on Xbox, plus I can't stand the PS controller. It's cool that this generation Sony actually released an affordable system, hoping it drops to below 500 by the time Naughty Dog releases their next game, will probably look at getting one then and catching up on their exclusives.

Posted by Bappernz
On Sunday 10 Nov 2013 9:03 PM
it scares me that this article makes me want a wiiU...

Posted by kiwibadboy
On Monday 11 Nov 2013 12:40 PM
Ok, I have a Wii U (thanks to NZG :D) but I'm just not enjoying it.....I used to love the old Nintendo systems, love the nostalgic classics. But the Wii U is just.....not doing it for me.
I guess because it's generally a more "friendly" and "family" games console. I mean there are a lot more above G games on PlayStation and Xbox. But then again I've always been a PlayStation gamer.

Nevertheless, the Wii U is proving very popular, especially in Japan, where the people are crazy about everything Nintendo (Pokemon X and Y outsold GTA V ._.).

So my point is, it has a good line up, but for me personally I'd pick the PlayStation 4 over any console any day. Not saying other consoles suck, just saying that Sony has my heart :P

The End.

Posted by stupidlikeafox
On Monday 11 Nov 2013 1:09 PM
11 November 2013, 12:40 PM Reply to kiwibadboy

The End.
yeah, i have a wii u also. trying to sell it so i can save for a ps4...

wharekura
Posted by wharekura
On Tuesday 12 Nov 2013 8:47 AM
Looks like it will become very popular all the young ones will have them

wharekura
Posted by wharekura
On Tuesday 12 Nov 2013 10:37 AM
8 November 2013, 04:58 PM Reply to tuftsdude
I reckon you two^^ should read this excellent blog..

Good write-up.
Its a great write up over it all

caitlin007
Posted by caitlin007
On Thursday 5 Dec 2013 2:49 PM
Have a wii but dont use it that much at all so probably wont be upgrading, the games are very cool since quite a few of them are only on nintendo which is my only regret. though it is half the price of all the others...

Posted by AdamC
On Saturday 12 Nov 2016 7:40 PM
That's a good read but its

Posted by AdamC
On Saturday 12 Nov 2016 7:41 PM
12 November 2016, 07:40 PM Reply to AdamC
That's a good read but its
A shame we never saw a console fire emblem or zelda game for it.