Opinion: Why The Xbox One Is The Right Choice

Opinion: Why The Xbox One Is The Right Choice

The console war is hotter than ever.

It's strange, to me, that my choice of next-gen console was so easy to make. Microsoft’s Xbox One has soared ahead in the battle for gamers hearts, in my opinion, and I’m going to tell you why. I won’t start with the usual “I own every console” argument in an effort to further validate my opinion - because the console war, regardless of what is said, is also a war for our hearts (or brand loyalty), and I can’t seem to get the Xbox One out of my mind.

The Xbox One will be the third console from Microsoft, who have undeniably been extremely successful with the Xbox 360. Microsoft share prices have been increasing in value throughout the life cycle of the Xbox 360, although in terms of raw sales the Xbox 360 and PS3 are neck and neck.

It also seems that the console war is at its most potent around launch time, due to limited financial resources meaning that gamers have to make a choice, and inevitably pick up the pitchforks to justify their position.

Since the Xbox One was announced it’s been at the forefront of controversy with it’s earlier (now cancelled) online policies. But despite all this, the Xbox One seems to be offering a true next-gen experience.

The Top 10 reasons why I chose the Xbox One (in no particular order)

1. The console

The Xbox One promises to pack a big punch - sure, on paper, the PS4 has a performance advantage, but if I’ve learnt anything in the last years, with the rise of Indie games, it’s that pure horsepower isn’t everything when it comes to designing masterful videogames. The previous generation of consoles had an even greater performance gap. But the Xbox One is sleek, beautiful, and whisper quiet in operation - an enviable prospect.

We also know that Microsoft have an enormous wealth of experience in the software development area, and have ensured that the Xbox One has a newer than new version of DirectX running - and it’s this driver support that I believe will see a reasonably level playing field once both consoles hit the market. Great API support also means that games become easier to develop, and the ease with which developers will be able to float between Windows 8 and the Xbox One will result in some great cross-platform titles.

Sporting three operating systems which run simultaneously, it will make sure your games are always up-to-date via background updates. One of the strengths of the Xbox 360 was the ease with which games were updated, but it definitely was missing an auto-update feature which would ensure when you were ready to play, so was the game.

2. Media

Gaming - it has been argued - is taking a backseat for Microsoft, with the Xbox One vying for the desirable position of top dog in your entertainment unit. Television and streaming media are being pushed in a big way. The Xbox One is set to revolutionise the way we watch TV, by using the console's power to allow you to snap between TV, media, and gaming, or do two things at once. Not only that but the Xbox One now sports a Blu-ray player - a must have for any console wanting to take the lead.

The HDMI input will allow you to run any HDMI device through the Xbox One – such as your TV set-top-box. What this means is that you will be able to control your TV through the Xbox One, right down to the channel you are watching. It remains to be seen if we will be able to access New Zealand’s Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) - so the console can overlay this information - from the get-go; some localisation questions that have yet to be answered by Microsoft. For someone who uses their Xbox 360 for media in a big way, all this media functionality is great news.

3. Xbox Live

I can’t write an article about why I’m sold on the Xbox One without emphasising the importance of Xbox Live. Microsoft are really throwing their weight behind Xbox Live, and ensuring that the Xbox One will have immense server-side support. This “Cloud” will allow gamers to store their content, and for developers to utilise dedicated servers. What this means is that we will be able to connect to fast, consistent, and well-supported online multiplayer matches. The benefits of dedicated servers proved themselves this generation and Microsoft appear to be taking the concept to another level.

An added benefit of the Cloud is that games can utilise it to help generate additional game content or processing. An example of this is how the Cloud supports Forza Motorsport 5’s ‘Drivatars’ - effectively a merge of gamer's personal racing styles with that of an AI - in order to generate a multitude of realistic driving behaviours that, in theory, will make the AI come truly to life when you connect to Xbox Live. How the Cloud is taken advantage of definitely remains to be seen - and as many have pointed out it really is just a server array, so how it works will likely be down to developers.

An enhanced reputation system too has been developed for the Xbox One which hopefully means more fun online. People who consistently grief other players will ultimately end up in a game full of other griefers, leaving those of us who want a bit more casual fun just to get on with it. Matchmaking undoubtedly has always been a strength on the Xbox 360, and it’s likely to just get better on the Xbox One.

Continue reading on page 2.

LoftyDog NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by LoftyDog
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:06 AM
So your willing to spend over $100 more for a console that has many features which most likely won't work in NZ, a universally (pretty much) considered weaker subscription system, a track record of flip flopping on absolutely terrible ownership policies (and they admitted those very well could come back during the life span), with marketing reps who have openly admitted they will use the hardware to invade your privacy and a universally (again pretty much) weaker line up of first party developers who primarily produce Kinect based shovelware? Hey its your money...

On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:09 AM
Giant paperweight.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

LoftyDog NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by LoftyDog
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:10 AM
14 October 2013, 10:06 AM Reply to LoftyDog
Also to add, points 3, 5, 6, 7, and 9 apply to the PS4 as well (im not counting points 2 and 8 either even though Sony does have their own hardware that compares (PS Eye and Dualshock 4). Also want to point out that Titalfall is not an Xbox exclusive as it is also playable on PC.

On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:12 AM
14 October 2013, 10:06 AM Reply to LoftyDog
It's only Monday and this has my vote for comment of the week. Everything you said Lofty is exactly why I'm getting a PS4.

Ashes2Ashes
Posted by Ashes2Ashes
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:25 AM
14 October 2013, 10:06 AM Reply to LoftyDog
This your opinion just as it is the writer's opinion in the article. For me I am buying the Xbox One first for the multimedia reasons he brought up. To me next gen isn't just updating the power and graphics. It's all about pushing the experiences of using it.

The new Kinect, HDMI in, and updates to the OS like the snapping ability gives me more things to play with while still being able to enjoy great games.

Both will be great systems but as someone that loves tech to play with it was an easy decision to me.

Bunnny NZGamer.com VIP VIP Silver
Posted by Bunnny
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:33 AM
14 October 2013, 10:10 AM Reply to LoftyDog
Easy Tiger....
it's only Monday.

srsly..

This is about consoles though. In that sense Titanfall is an exclusive when compared to a Ps4.
But chill.

LoftyDog NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by LoftyDog
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:35 AM
14 October 2013, 10:25 AM Reply to Ashes2Ashes

I agree with what your saying but the things I mentioned are not really opinions. While the subscription systems and first party line up is technically opinion the vast majority of people view PS+ as superior to X-Box Live Gold and the vast majority view the Sony first party studios as of a higher calibre than the MS ones. The rest of the the points I made not opinion but fact.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=PS%2B+vs+Xbox+live&oq=PS%2B+vs+Xbox+live&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3205j0j9&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8 (google search of PS+ vs Xbox Live) - just read the hits

As I said, the things I mentioned are not really opinion (and the ones that were I emphasized that they were nearly universally regarded opinions)

rocketman12 NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by rocketman12
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:37 AM
Hedge your bets, buy them both.

Sam NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by Sam
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:53 AM
Nice post raises some great points, good for those fence sitters to see this take on it

LoftyDog NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by LoftyDog
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:58 AM
Comment has been removed.
Agreed 100%! Lets share the gaming love. I just am really irritated by one sided journalism. If they were going to do this than they should have had 2 articles go up at the same time. One opinion for the ps4 and one for the XBone.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

Coddfish NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by Coddfish
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 11:03 AM
14 October 2013, 10:58 AM Reply to LoftyDog
That's exactly what they did, though. PS4 and Xbone article both launched at 10am. The whole point was to have side by side opinion articles for both systems.

LoftyDog NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by LoftyDog
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 11:12 AM
14 October 2013, 11:03 AM Reply to Coddfish
ooops...just noticed that :P

lax1 NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by lax1
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 11:23 AM
I've read both articles and can't see anything that knocks me off the fence to XB1 side.
For me it was the exclusives that swung me to PS3 after years on PC, and this has been the largest factor in my decision for next gen (although I won't be buying day one).
MS didn't do themsleves any favours with their launch policies and I think it will be hard to win some of the 50/50's back, despite the backtracking. I'm sure the system has it's own benefits, they just don't seem to apply to me.

oconnomiyaki NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by oconnomiyaki
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 11:50 AM
"Hey its your money..."

It is, and at the end of the day the Xbox One simply has games I want to play right now. I was struggling to find anything exclusive I wanted to play on the PS4, whereas at least the Xbox One is giving me Killer Instinct and Forza 5 at launch. I also would have been getting FIFA regardless of platform, so the $100 price difference is instantly moot. In fact, the Xbox One becomes better value when you consider the RRP of FIFA coupled with the fact you get Kinect.

The PS4 isn't going anywhere, and maybe in the future it'll get an exclusive title that will make me open my wallet, but for me personally the hype around the PS4 was more around the fact that they didn't have any "anti-consumer" policies than whether or not they actually announced anything super-appealing. In fact, there's a fair chance that if the Xbox One didn't have Killer Instinct, I wouldn't be getting anything at launch.

After all, I'm just here for the games.

ReaperCrew NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by ReaperCrew
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 11:50 AM
Call me old fashioned if you like, however I buy a console for one simple task – to play games. All the extra value added features and services included with it will have a minimal, if any, influence on my decision and Kinect is yet to prove itself.

My decision will be based on three simple points:
1. Are there any exclusive titles that will sway my vote?
2. What are my friends getting so we can continue to play online together?
3. Do I want to pay for PSN and XBLive subscriptions? I still have a number of XB360 games in my library I still (and will continue to) enjoy playing online.

Forza versus GT, for example, both are solid titles and if you’re into racing games, I believe ether will satisfy that thirst for speed so although each of these are exclusives there is a reasonably comparable choice for both platforms that these titles don’t count towards my decision. The clincher for me at the moment is Halo (with Titan Fall coming in close thereafter). I’ve been following the Halo saga for a while now and would like to continue with it. Sorry Sony, I just haven’t seen an exclusive title that compares to it that I would enjoy as much, and although the remaining exclusives look great they just don’t sway me back to you, as well as or instead of an Xbox.

I’m curious what criteria others are using for their decision.

Xboxstation
Posted by Xboxstation
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 12:06 PM
I'll probably end up with both consoles (like i did this generation) but at launch the Xbox One definitely excites me more. Kinect with its instant sign in and huge improvement in usability, the multi-tasking, the controller, the HDMI input and the exclusive games. All these things will make me get this at launch. I'll give the PS4 a year or so and see if the 'extra horsepower' really does make any difference and see what exclusives it has. Either way, two great consoles and we really are spoilt for choice.

drivingproNZ
Posted by drivingproNZ
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 12:13 PM
Xbox - The only product to have Skype behind a paywall.

I purchased a 360 at launch, and Microsoft have been making more and more decisions to push me away. Putting a web browser behind a pay wall on the 360 just makes them seem down right greedy.

Fortunately I absolutely love the games, so I'll be buying an Xbox One at some stage. PS4 day one however.

haydensomething NZGamer.com VIP VIP
Posted by haydensomething
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 12:20 PM
Just out of curiosity, are any console gamers considering getting a Steam box when they are released?

holmium
Posted by holmium
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 12:23 PM
The new Xbox looks great. Can't wait for next month!

amorgan_28
Posted by amorgan_28
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 12:43 PM
1 Reason the XBone is the WRONG choice:

All the oppressive DRM features Microsoft made a big song and dance about removing are just one software update away from returning. It may never happen, but the sheer fact that they can just flip one switch in the operating system of it means they always have the option, and that's enough for to put me right off it

Mattress NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by Mattress
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 1:17 PM
14 October 2013, 10:06 AM Reply to LoftyDog
Your posts illustrates everything wrong with console fanboys (largely consisting of Sony sheep at the present time) who believe that they only ever cite "facts" and refuse to believe that other people may have different preferences to their own. Every single "fact" you presented is actually just an "opinion" and can easily be countered by other "facts" in favour of the X1 (e.g. the $100 price difference is negated by the inclusion of FIFA 14 and Kinect).

The air of superiority by PS fans right now is downright laughable. Both consoles will be amazing. But wait until Titanfall drops next year in early 2014 - watch everyone gush over it even more than they have done so far and see how many people flock back to MS. Because in the end - it's all about the games.

Bunnny NZGamer.com VIP VIP Silver
Posted by Bunnny
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 2:49 PM
14 October 2013, 12:43 PM Reply to amorgan_28
1 Reason the XBone is the WRONG choice:

Tbh there is nothing stopping Sony from following suite.

They invented used game tracking....

KiwiSharp NZGamer.com VIP VIP Silver
Posted by KiwiSharp
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 3:26 PM
Thanks for the article, nice to read something positive about both consoles for a comparison.

I would like to own both consoles, but for financial reasons I will only be getting the Xbox One at launch. Exclusives for me seem better on the Xbox One (based on personal preference). Like Rino also said customer service from MS is great. Really keen to see how the new Kinect goes, many drinks and laughs were shared with the last kinect. HDMI input looks like a great feature also.

Axe99 NZGamer.com VIP VIP
Posted by Axe99
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 3:30 PM
14 October 2013, 01:17 PM Reply to Mattress

Lots of references to Titanfall in the comments. Would have expected fans of the XB1 to focus more on outright rather than timed exclusives ;). Sure, it hasn't been announced for PS4 yet, but the response from EA and Respawn have been so obviously "It's only coming to these platforms at this time" that it's as good as common knowledge it'll come to PS4 sooner or later.

Forza, Halo, Ryse. Fable, Crimson Dragon and Lococycle are the big exclusives we know about, plus whatever Black Tusk is doing.

Anyways, the decision for me is easy. Only one console has WARRRR THUNDERRR, and unfortunately for Microsoft it's not the XB1. Both consoles will be great, but there is a clear difference in approach to the type of titles that the platform-holders support. You just got more new IPs, more different experiences and more breadth on PS4 (at least at launch, but it was the same story on PS1, PS2 and PS3). For me it's all about the games, and I just want stuff that's not quite as bog-standard mainstream as what they're pushing on XB1.

phantom
Posted by phantom
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 3:41 PM
14 October 2013, 03:30 PM Reply to Axe99

Killer Instinct is the stand-out X1 game for me. Don't get me wrong, Forza et al look amazing, but KI... let's just say that game has a special place in my heart and MS guaranteed themselves a sale the second they announced that!

Mattress NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by Mattress
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 3:42 PM
14 October 2013, 03:30 PM Reply to Axe99

Fair enough, more power to you! Sounds to me like you're picking the right console for your preferences.

Whether Titanfall goes to PS4 or not - I'm not convinced either way at the moment though I do have a sneaking suspicion it will become multi-plat. But it is the most exciting game that I've seen so far and I want to play it the day it releases so X1 for me.

On multi-plats, I actually think these games show the most promise for the future (as opposed to first party exclusives - though I am intrigued by what Sunset Overdrive is going to be like). I'm very interested in The Division, Destiny, and, far later down the line, Star Wars Battlefront.

Bappernz NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by Bappernz
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 4:35 PM
Nice informative article, shame about the division that seems to have opened up in the community, ill be buying the PS4 but only because my flatmate has pre ordered the XB1

emetic NZGamer.com VIP VIP Silver
Posted by emetic
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 5:35 PM
Lol consoles. Putting the "opinion" at the start of each headline was a good move.

I wish I could give more than one up- or down-thumb to some of these posts though o_O

Nibblo
Posted by Nibblo
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 6:12 PM
14 October 2013, 10:06 AM Reply to LoftyDog
Last time I looked the Xbox One was $98 more expensive than the PS4 and considering it is $100 more expensive in the States I figure we are getting a good deal. As for flip flopping well lets face it if they hadn't changed you would have been complaining about that so they can't win. What marketing reps have said they will invade your privacy? Microsoft has already stated that they were mis-represented and I have gone through the article and can't find one place where Yusif Mehdi talks about the Kinect, he was talking about cross platform marketing ala smart glass. The best argument I heard against this was "he's lying" kinda sums up the mentality there. First party devs in my opinion are top notch, I don't know where you get the Kinect shovel ware from, only Kinect Sports Rivals (which looks really good) and Xbox Fitness which looks awesome are currently Kinect based.
I agree with Joel it's an awesome console that will be a great buy for any gamer and guess what so will the PS4 and WiiU, I'd get them all if my wallet can hold out but at the end of the day I know the Xbox One will be my main console. I like the interface, controller and prefer Xbox games. Can't wait until my console arrives.

nguns NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by nguns
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 6:54 PM
Alot of people seem to overlook the power of loyalty and prior experiance. I own both a 360 and a PS3 and i love both for different reasons. And at the end of the day. Thats what it comes down to, If you indeed are choosing 1 or the other, Personally you choose what suits you better.

On paper, it seems that the PS4 is a clear winner. But digging deeper it comes down to what games people play and prefer. CoD having 1 month 'exclusive' DLC might not seem like much, But to a person who plays CoD for 20 hours a week. Thats worth choosing an XBOX over a PS4.

Its not that i think articles like this are misleading, because they are usually factual. But it should also be heavily noted that consoles are personal preference..

If i had any impact on what someone was going to decide (which i highly doubt i will), It would be to choose the console that sounds like it will suit you best, and try not to buy into the fanboyism that oftern comes out of articles like these. I dont know anyone with a 360 that says they hate it. But i know plenty with an 360 that say they hate PS3's, Oftern without even owning one.

My decision comes down to this for next gen;

-Games (preference)
-What my friends/colleges are getting
-Value (which is alot of preference)
-Appearance (might sound silly but its a factor, and its preference)
-Cost (which obviously. PS4 wins)

For me, its the PS4. Games like Infamous/Killzone appeal to me, Alot of my friends are going with the PS4, so MP gaming will be enjoyable with them. For value i see PlayStation Plus as a really good incentive to get the PS4, free game here and there and free stuff always sits well. I like the look of the console, Looks nice and simple.. And being $100 just tops it off.

I'm going to be sad that i won't get Titanfall, That game looks so good. And i enjoy CoD and getting DLC a month late can be annoying. But i'm going with what works the best for me and im going to be happy with my decision. Because its my preference.

Axe99 NZGamer.com VIP VIP
Posted by Axe99
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 6:57 PM
14 October 2013, 03:41 PM Reply to phantom
Whoops, my bad, totally forgot to mention KI! It's deffo a significant game, I'm just not a fighting game person (probs why I forgot it). There's deffo only one next-gen console to get for KI fans :).

NZBuc NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by NZBuc
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 9:23 PM
Great opinion piece - I seriously considered getting a PS4, but decided to stick with XB (I may get a PS4 later) - time is the biggest constraint for me to get two systems - I have a whole bunch of games i'm yet to seriously play as it is, let alone getting games on two systems!

Main reasons I went with XB:

Controller preference (I used to prefer dualshocks, but after using the Xbox S controller, I changed)

Online reliability (I know in the past PSN hasn't been as stable - I do expect this to change with them now charging for the infrastructure)

Friends online/number playing Madden (which is obviously biggest in the USA - where M$ is based)

TV connectivity - having a google revue, I'm pretty excited about the xbox doing a better job of integrating TV/Games on your TV

I can definitely understand people preferring a PS4, and hope both consoles force the other to keep improving!

kiwibadboy NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by kiwibadboy
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 11:18 PM
Still reckon PS4 will do better, therefore I will listen to what my heart wants: stick with Sony :)

XSpike
Posted by XSpike
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 11:59 PM
The guy who wrote the PS4 article sucked, all he talked about was the games. He could of gone into the PS4 controller, PS+, more into remote play like with tablets, mobiles, PSVita, Vita TV, also theres Gaikai (in its processor), removable hard drive, the ablility to play games off the Disc or to do full installs instead of requiring to do full installs and unable to play off the disc...

Skype probably coming to PS4 as well, just like how its on the PSVita. Digital games on PS4 are also instant to load/join games online & much more..

Mattress NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by Mattress
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 12:03 AM
14 October 2013, 11:59 PM Reply to XSpike

Why post this here? Go complain on the PS4 article if you're not happy with the content of it.

XSpike
Posted by XSpike
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 12:15 AM
15 October 2013, 12:03 AM Reply to Mattress
Maybe I should of, but still this article here although good, has a few flaws which make it seem like PS4 doesn't have those feature but it does.. So why not post it here as people will read the article and think "Oh so the PS4 can't instantly switch between digital games" or "PS4 can't use tablets as a second screen?" the article should be using exclusive stuff in his opinion in why Xbox 1 is better, not stuff that is on both consoles and in some cases better on PS4 but he still list it as a reason to buy an Xbox 1..

brettz0r NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by brettz0r
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 12:45 AM
1. The PS4 uses the same architecture as the Xbone. Both consoles will be just as easy to develop for with the exception of Xbone where the developers have to restrict what they can do -thus holding back all cross platform games. Boo
2. PS3 has an optional accessory called play-tv: I have not read anything about this being PS4 compatible but I don''t see why they wouldn't: The best thing about this it that its an accessory that only the people who want it, will buy it. It doesn't take away from a game consoles primary objective: to play games.
3. PSN/ SEN is great and PS+ is amazing value.
4. Kinect 2.0 looks awesome... for everything but the core games that most people play. Motion and voice control are slow and less responsive than any controller that I have used. They just slow down game-play and gets in the way of the overall experience.
5. Skype: Never used it. PS Vita has Skype, why wouldn't the PS4? Never mind this: you can still voice and video chat on the PS3 (multi chat for free too) and it would be very odd if this was not included in the PS4
6. Sony owns "Music unlimited" which is already accessible via the PS3 and again is no doubt going to feature on the PS4, It does everything mentioned about xbox music
7. Sony has this app too.
8. Controllers are personal preference. I have no issue with the PS3/360 controllers. I am yet to use either of the next gen controllers so I couldn't comment on this.
9. Digital games are already available on PS3: They are not price competitive with retails stores though. The bonus is that I can download these games on both of my PS3's and keep them forever, delete them when I am running out of space and re-download them at any time. Switching between these games has never been as issue and I personally think most games love showing off how many games they own via DVD racks etc.
10. Games are personal preference. There is no games on launch that have got me really excited and the only game on pre - order is COD Ghosts: which is cross platform. Waiting a month on DLC does not bother me.

To me: since Xbone has reversed its horrible DRM and always on Kinect policies, both consoles are actually pretty similar and the only 2 things that sways me to what console to buy: What are my friends buying and what has been good to me in the past?

Ps4 it is.

ModifiedSoul NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by ModifiedSoul
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 2:05 AM
Not sure what the deal is but EB has the PS4 Eye listed as $119.00 that's a pretty big difference to the US price.

I checked against other stores and
mighty ape has it at $108.00
Nzgameshop lists at $98.00

Goonertron NZGamer.com VIP VIP Silver
Posted by Goonertron
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 3:02 AM
The PS4 and Xbone are so similar now that really all that matters is where your friends play.

jords NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by jords
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 9:12 AM
14 October 2013, 10:09 AM Reply to sick_wierdo
Giant paperweight.
Geez, didn't know people like you still existed this day and age.

On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 10:49 AM
15 October 2013, 09:12 AM Reply to jords
Geez, didn't know people like you still existed this day and age.
Apparently so. So what?

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

Mattress NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by Mattress
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 1:04 PM
15 October 2013, 02:05 AM Reply to ModifiedSoul

I checked against other stores and
mighty ape has it at $108.00
Nzgameshop lists at $98.00
The other thing I noticed was how much more expensive a PS4 controller is compared to the X1 controller. On Mighty Ape, $88.00 for X1 controller but $118.00 for PS4. With the play and charge kit the X1 controller comes up to $108.00 - so even in that instance it is still cheaper. Not sure why there would be such a price difference.

Winger Gee NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by Winger Gee
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 2:45 PM
Sold....sold before and still sold after. Still want both just to cover the exclusives I want...... so little time .... so few HDMI ports.

naturalhighNZ
Posted by naturalhighNZ
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 5:13 PM
14 October 2013, 11:59 PM Reply to XSpike

You do realise Microsoft own Skype, right?

ModifiedSoul NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by ModifiedSoul
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 5:13 PM
15 October 2013, 01:04 PM Reply to Mattress
Using smaller countries to recover the discounts in bigger countries or just a whole sale model at work

Teamkaos
Posted by Teamkaos
On Wednesday 16 Oct 2013 8:07 AM
Makes me laugh all the Sony trolls who feel like they have to come on here and put down the xbox to make themselves feel better. Cant seeing it happening on the the other article on the PS4 by the xbox fan boys. Says just one thing really, people buying the xbox are content and happy with their decision and really dont feel the need to try and justify it to everyone.
In my opinion the consoles are virtually the same, so it comes down to 3 things, The exclusives, which the xbox wins hands down with its launch titles alone , What your friends are buying, which in my case is the xbox, and what will you being doing the most with the console, which for me is playing online, And as it stands xbox live is heads and shoulders better performance than the PSN. And with the amount of develpment and investment Microsoft has put into xbox live for the xbox one release I cant see that changing anytime soon with the next gen. So the PS4 is slightly more powerful, so what, dosnt mean anything to me if everytime i go online the experiance is gonna be rank (Which it always was on my PS3).

On Wednesday 16 Oct 2013 9:44 AM
16 October 2013, 08:07 AM Reply to Teamkaos
Yet you just posted a whole comment spouting off about how xbox is better than Playstation. Go home.

Mattress NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by Mattress
On Wednesday 16 Oct 2013 10:24 AM
16 October 2013, 08:07 AM Reply to Teamkaos
Completely agree.

Teamkaos
Posted by Teamkaos
On Wednesday 16 Oct 2013 10:45 AM
16 October 2013, 09:44 AM Reply to sick_wierdo
Not at all, i just stated my personal preference and my reasoning behind it, I didnt slag the PS4 off at all. Maybe slaged PSN off a bit, but if you have every played the same game on both PSN and Xbox live, a mainstream game like Cod or whatever, then you would know the experiance is better on xbox live hands down.

Mattress NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by Mattress
On Wednesday 16 Oct 2013 2:11 PM
16 October 2013, 10:45 AM Reply to Teamkaos
Don't you love it how you can't write a positive comment about the X1 on an X1 article without getting called out by a PS fanboy? LOL

ModifiedSoul NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by ModifiedSoul
On Wednesday 16 Oct 2013 9:17 PM
16 October 2013, 09:44 AM Reply to sick_wierdo
you prove his point to well for words to describe

wharekura NZGamer.com VIP VIP
Posted by wharekura
On Wednesday 16 Oct 2013 9:39 PM
16 October 2013, 09:44 AM Reply to sick_wierdo
wow - u have got so many negative comments - ive been trying so hard to get to 500 but it seems it will be faster to go out the back door

psgamer16
Posted by psgamer16
On Thursday 17 Oct 2013 3:28 PM
im sticking with the ps4. Sony has made it clear that this console is all about gamers and i like that. Plus the exclusives look really amazing.

On Thursday 17 Oct 2013 7:02 PM
16 October 2013, 02:11 PM Reply to Mattress
Not a fanboy, actually I had 2 xbox 360s both of which crapped out, was treated like sh*t by M$ so called customer service, and had nothing but problems with xbox. So yeah, I have some resentment towards them.

On Thursday 17 Oct 2013 7:06 PM
16 October 2013, 10:24 AM Reply to Mattress
Completely agree.
Until they reverse their policies yet again. Yup, you all have so much faith in them when all they seem to care about is a money making machine restricting everything you want to do, invade your privacy, and half of these features you all keep going on about won't even be available in NZ. But hey, like the other guy said, it's your money.

On Thursday 17 Oct 2013 7:08 PM
16 October 2013, 09:39 PM Reply to wharekura
Send in a few news tips, write a few blogs and reviews, and blammo, VIP. Not hard at all. Yeah I do have some negative comments, but I wont hold back on how I feel just because I'm afraid to be downvoted.

ModifiedSoul NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by ModifiedSoul
On Friday 18 Oct 2013 7:19 AM
17 October 2013, 07:02 PM Reply to sick_wierdo
my console died and EB swapped over the counter no questions asked due to M$ standing up and accepting that they had screwed up. I don't like that they screwed up but they did the right thing after it.

test<i><b>test

ModifiedSoul NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by ModifiedSoul
On Friday 18 Oct 2013 7:27 AM
17 October 2013, 07:06 PM Reply to sick_wierdo
we are kinda limited for options when it comes to choosing consoles, each console is sadly made by a company looking to make money,

i did hear rumors of Green Peace teaming up with CCF to enter the console market and if they do then we can really start crucifying M$ and Son¥ for wanting to make money

Teamkaos
Posted by Teamkaos
On Friday 18 Oct 2013 7:56 AM
17 October 2013, 07:06 PM Reply to sick_wierdo
lol. your funny. So Sony isnt interested in making money? How could you say that Sony are far more focused on games than Microsoft when Microsoft have so many more Developers in their pockets? Everyone giving Microsoft grief for changing polices, that are actually, all really smart, well thought out polices that the average half wit just isnt ready for so they freaked out and had a big cry. Especially the always on policy/ always connected to the Internet, makes me laugh when all the Sony boys go on about that, at least Microsoft told everyone where Sony has tried to cover up the fact that the PS4 is also going to be always connected online after they saw the backlash that Microsoft got. But fact of the matter is that the PS4 will be always connected, even when switched off. Now dont get me wrong, im not slagging off the PS4, its gonna be a great console. I just think the online gaming experiance is going to be better on xbox live, so im going with the xbox. If i was only interested in playing games offline. I would probably go with PS4. But really, there is nothing between the 2.

On Friday 18 Oct 2013 7:59 AM
18 October 2013, 07:27 AM Reply to ModifiedSoul

Sad attempt at humour and you missed the point completely sorry.

On Friday 18 Oct 2013 8:05 AM
18 October 2013, 07:56 AM Reply to Teamkaos
M$ is focused on a toy that is more like a satellite box for tv than a games console. Also Sony has a lot more studios owned by them (Naughty Dog, Guerilla etc) making games than Microsoft so your point is invalid. And quality games, not pathetic kinetic shovelware jut to make a few bucks off morons that don't know any better. Do your research properly before you try come up with a decent argument.

This comment has been down-voted by the community.

Teamkaos
Posted by Teamkaos
On Friday 18 Oct 2013 11:38 AM
18 October 2013, 08:05 AM Reply to sick_wierdo
lol, mate, i think you need to do your research. Because Microsoft used E3 to showcase they Xbox ones 'Other' uses does not mean that it is a satelite box. They stated that was what they were doing and thats what they did. The fact that all you Fan boys ignored that fact is just simply pathetic. The things that you guys cling on to and try to use to put the console down and justify your choice is a joke. you might want to check your facts about the developers and Indi's too. especially if you take Japan out of the equation, which lets face it, most people in NZ wouldnt play their games anyway.

gspcdNZ NZGamer.com VIP VIP
Posted by gspcdNZ
On Friday 18 Oct 2013 11:57 AM
OMG... People are not buying the PS4 because its better, they are buying it because they are PS Fan Boys.
Sony lost so many users when their security was munted.... they are just playing catch up now to Microsoft.

We'll see how this pans out in 12 months from release.

Also, why create tech in the controller for the Eye and not push it on release, just so they can make the price a little cheaper. I'm happy tto pay more for the better system!

Good luck Sony.

gspcdNZ NZGamer.com VIP VIP
Posted by gspcdNZ
On Friday 18 Oct 2013 12:08 PM
Comment has been removed.
Probably the most balanced post I've seen here.

On Friday 18 Oct 2013 9:49 PM
18 October 2013, 11:57 AM Reply to gspcdNZ

We'll see how this pans out in 12 months from release.

Good luck Sony.
Lol at you, so misinformed, so very very wrong. Good luck noob.

On Friday 18 Oct 2013 9:51 PM
18 October 2013, 11:38 AM Reply to Teamkaos
I'm not your mate noob

On Friday 18 Oct 2013 9:54 PM
18 October 2013, 12:08 PM Reply to gspcdNZ
Probably the most balanced post I've seen here.
And everything you said is complete and utter bullsh*t by the way, you have no idea, so go back to wherever you came from and fap off with your xbox180 friends. Call me a fanboy but here you are being M$ fanboy number one. Pathetic.

sillycatsteven
Posted by sillycatsteven
On Friday 18 Oct 2013 9:59 PM
I think I finally figure out why MS named the new Xbox: Xbox One. it's because "One" pronounce the same as "Won". If people say it enough times, it'll make people subconsciously agree that Xbox has really won so more will be sold.... It's even better than subliminal messages.

PIaystation NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by PIaystation
On Saturday 19 Oct 2013 4:17 PM
Wow. The number 1 reason was so useless. (Reason 1: Console)
No sh&* it has a console.

PIaystation NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by PIaystation
On Saturday 19 Oct 2013 4:25 PM
14 October 2013, 12:20 PM Reply to haydensomething
I honestly don't think so. Who are they targeting? PC gamers already have their ultra expensive PCs. Console gamers are going to buy a PS4 or Xbox. But steam box is ..... what? I don't know.

PIaystation NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by PIaystation
On Saturday 19 Oct 2013 4:26 PM
14 October 2013, 01:17 PM Reply to Mattress

Titan fall is on PC.

On Saturday 19 Oct 2013 5:58 PM
19 October 2013, 04:26 PM Reply to PIaystation
Titan fall is on PC.
Lol exactly. This guy/girl is an absolute idiot.

grieving NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by grieving
On Sunday 20 Oct 2013 12:48 AM
18 October 2013, 09:59 PM Reply to sillycatsteven
Unfortunately people are calling it the Xbone.

tuftsdude NZGamer.com VIP VIP Gold
Posted by tuftsdude
On Sunday 20 Oct 2013 9:29 AM
19 October 2013, 05:58 PM Reply to sick_wierdo
Lol exactly. This guy/girl is an absolute idiot.
And you're a Sony fanboy.

Nibblo
Posted by Nibblo
On Sunday 20 Oct 2013 12:47 PM
14 October 2013, 11:50 AM Reply to ReaperCrew

My decision will be based on three simple points:
1. Are there any exclusive titles that will sway my vote?
2. What are my friends getting so we can continue to play online together?

I’m curious what criteria others are using for their decision.
Games, controller, eco-system, Kinect, and the dedicated servers (cloud). I just think MS will do a better job giving me the console I want. No hate towards any other console.

On Sunday 20 Oct 2013 1:21 PM
20 October 2013, 09:29 AM Reply to tuftsdude
And you're a Sony fanboy.
I'm not a fanboy, if the xboxone was the better system, I would be buying that instead of PS4. Simple as that. If my personal experiences with xbox 360 and M$ in general weren't so bad in the past, and the xboxone appealed to me, over the PS4, then it would be my console of choice. However it doesn't. I have never had problems with Sony equipment, or thier customer service, and quite frankly I just find everything about Playstation to be better than Xbox. Personal opinion. I have gripes for a reason, not just because it isn't my console of choice and I'm a fanboy as you call it. Thanks.

Teamkaos
Posted by Teamkaos
On Monday 21 Oct 2013 1:32 PM
18 October 2013, 09:51 PM Reply to sick_wierdo
I'm not your mate noob
haha, really? thats what you have to say. Oh well, I think only one thing has been determined from all the comments in this article, and the PS4 article, and that is that the average person buying the Xbox one is a fair bit more mature than the average person buying the PS4. Yet another reason to buy a Xbox as far as im concerned, have fun playing on PS Plus with all the 12 year olds.

reavers NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by reavers
On Wednesday 23 Oct 2013 9:12 PM
14 October 2013, 10:06 AM Reply to LoftyDog
So true, so awfully true :P

On Thursday 24 Oct 2013 6:57 AM
21 October 2013, 01:32 PM Reply to Teamkaos
And you sound so mature. Thanks, I will have fun with my 2 free games a month on PS Plus. BTW, you should ask M$ if you can be their little b*tch mascot seeing as they dont have any exclusive games to have one, next time they bend you over. Good day.

tuftsdude NZGamer.com VIP VIP Gold
Posted by tuftsdude
On Thursday 24 Oct 2013 7:43 PM
24 October 2013, 06:57 AM Reply to sick_wierdo
Yes, he does sound mature. More than you at least :D

havicdavis NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
Posted by havicdavis
On Tuesday 29 Oct 2013 9:30 AM
I'm getting an xbox one for one simple reason... the games. I'm invested in the Halo universe and have loved all the past games, Forza 5 looks great and has my pre-order for day one, I feel I can trust Turn 10 to produce a great game and continue with steady DLC. At the end of the day, its personal preference.. even if the ps4 is a more powerful console and (possibly) has more features it doesn't interest me. I also cant stand the PlayStation controllers, seems well outdated and uncomfortable for a game system in 2014 (although I haven't touched the dualshock 4 yet)

But each to their own, different strokes for different folks.

Xbox one was always my choice.

On Tuesday 29 Oct 2013 10:13 AM
24 October 2013, 07:43 PM Reply to tuftsdude
Yes, he does sound mature. More than you at least :D
Have you ever actually got anything decent to say other than just spamming every article just for points? The way I see this comment you are just asking me to downvote every single comment you make from now on.

On Friday 1 Nov 2013 7:58 AM
I see another member of the high and mighty brigade has rode in on thier high horse to give thier masterful opinion and keep the spelling and grammar in check.

Sicoff
Posted by Sicoff
On Tuesday 5 Nov 2013 7:01 AM
I'm with this opinion.

Goonertron NZGamer.com VIP VIP Silver
Posted by Goonertron
On Sunday 10 Nov 2013 5:35 PM
I just prefer the Xbox One pretty much down to 3 reasons

1. Friends List
2. Xbox Live
3. Controller

Xbox 360 has blown away PS3 this generation in terms of online features, I couldn't even imagine gaming on the PS3 all this time without party chat. And most of my time gaming these days in multiplayer games, so that is still a huge worry I have with PS4 is their online services.

Graphics on both systems look incredible to me, and this is just the launch lineup which in 5 years time we will look back on and talk about the graphics look like poop, which is one of the reasons I prefer gaming consoles to PC, I can pay around 700 dollars now for a console, which in 8 years time (barring any system failure) will be playing games that look sooo much better than the graphics people are arguing about now. For example look at GTA 5, a very impressive looking game that shouldn't run as well as it does on a 8 year old console. But thanks to the developer only having to worry about developing for 2 systems they have optimized the sh*t out of that thing, try and get those kind of graphics out of GTA 5 on a mid range gaming computer from 2005 because that is pretty much all the Xbox 360 is.

The future is looking great for both these consoles, but for me it's Xbox One at launch and PS4 whenever Naughty Dog releases their next game and will catch up on all the exclusives I missed then. Both these systems are years overdue, so people that exclusively game on consoles will be blowing away by the graphics. I can't see anyone regretting buying one or the other.

Goonertron NZGamer.com VIP VIP Silver
Posted by Goonertron
On Sunday 10 Nov 2013 5:40 PM
14 October 2013, 03:26 PM Reply to KiwiSharp

The kinect features are pretty great in BF4. Even when sitting down you can now lean around corners by leaning in your chair, Sounds gimmicky at first but people previewing say it's pretty useful.

Also apparently it has a built in fitness game that looks technically impressive, for example it while doing stuff like jumping jacks in can detect your heart rate, pressure points on your body and stuff like that. This sounds like what the kinect first promised to be, instead of the public beta they released with the kinect on 360.

Goonertron NZGamer.com VIP VIP Silver
Posted by Goonertron
On Sunday 10 Nov 2013 5:48 PM
18 October 2013, 07:27 AM Reply to ModifiedSoul

Oh man now I want a green peace game. Boarding Whaling ships in the antarctic while dodging harpoons and water cannons. Would be great for Kinect.

BritneysSpear
Posted by BritneysSpear
On Wednesday 13 Nov 2013 12:56 AM
Comment has been removed.
Did you know that Mountain Dew was made for Whiskey? Just thought I would share that. X1 Day One Ed.

BritneysSpear
Posted by BritneysSpear
On Wednesday 13 Nov 2013 12:59 AM
10 November 2013, 05:40 PM Reply to Goonertron

More like Alpha.

Quidam
Posted by Quidam
On Saturday 23 Nov 2013 1:20 AM
"Soared ahead in gamers hearts" -Wow, this must be some strange definition of soaring that includes a disastrous pre launch campaign that did it's level best to alienate it's core fanbase, along with a record number of PS4's sold in the 1st 24 hours.

You then go on to then state Sony's hardware advantage does not mean much but use Indie games as an example, which is bizarre because it is Sony that has Indie friendly development policies, not MS.

As for Media, well, I already have the ultimate media centre that no games console is ever going to touch, it's called a HTPC running mediaportal and a multi-terabyte NAS. MS may be trying to capture a bigger market than just core gamers, but I for one don't thank them for that, I'd rather a games console stayed focused on delivering the best gaming experience possible, rather than trying to be all things to all people.

xbox live is fine, got no problem with it, but nor do I have any problem with the PSN+ network, they both get the job done and no doubt both are going to continue to evolve significantly over the lifetime of these consoles, I fail to see why xbox live offers a compelling case to buy the xbox over the PS4, but then again, I never have been big on gaming online and having young kids talk the most obscene levels of utter filth that would make many people give up on humanity.

The rest of your points seem more like simple list of features from a marketing brochure. Every one of them has a PS4 equivalent product, and in the case of the Kinect I'm pretty happy that it is optional rather than a forced add-on because I'm just not interested in playing games that make me sweat and jump around my lounge-room, that is why I belong to a gym.

tuftsdude NZGamer.com VIP VIP Gold
Posted by tuftsdude
On Thursday 5 Dec 2013 2:30 PM
29 October 2013, 10:13 AM Reply to sick_wierdo
Idc about points. Idgaf if you downvote me. I do know I shouldn't waste my time writing a long post when quoting you.

radman5
Posted by radman5
On Saturday 7 Dec 2013 9:31 PM
14 October 2013, 10:06 AM Reply to LoftyDog
You realize the extra $100 is for the kinect. Yeah some features may not work in New Zealand but normally we don't like that stuff anyway, the features that do and will work are still features that don't even exist on the PS4 so that's still extra functionality and extra reasons for. Yeah there are a lot of lame games and applications for the kinect but some people, myself included enjoy these things because Xbox does the regular gaming stuff really well if not better than PS4 but on top of that has some super fun kinect enhanced things for people who yearn for something irregular to make things interesting. It's all about catering to a wider audience without compromising the most important the thing which is great gaming which I feel is pretty much the case.

PS. Extremely biased toward Xbox :P not gonna lie..

radman5
Posted by radman5
On Saturday 7 Dec 2013 9:51 PM
This is actually the most mature console war discussion I've ever witnessed. Well done nzgamer community!

MENAMERITO
Posted by MENAMERITO
On Monday 30 Dec 2013 3:32 AM
18 October 2013, 09:59 PM Reply to sillycatsteven
hmmmm PS1...... back in the 90's?