Opinion: Why The PS4 Is The Right Choice

By: Morgan Bates
Published: Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:00 AM

Opinion: Why The PS4 Is The Right Choice

The choice is simple: PlayStation 4.

There are several reasons a PlayStation 4 should be at the top of your wish list come November. Before we begin, forget the console’s specifications, they only matter to developers who need to optimize their games. The only deciding factor should be the games, pricing, and bundled accessories. So let’s get things started with…

The Games

Let’s look at the exclusives available at launch - both at retail and on PlayStation Network.

DriveClub

Developed by Evolution Studios (the MotorStorm people), DriveClub is a racing game that shifts focus to what happens on the road (rather than off it, like in MotorStorm.) If you're a PlayStation Plus subscriber, there's a special (albeit limited) version of the game coming to the service that will cost you exactly zero dollars and zero cents, too.

Killzone: Shadow Fall

If you're a PlayStation owner and fan of first-person shooters, you'll already be familiar with Guerilla Games' franchise (the latest, Killzone Mercenary for Vita, was stunning.) In Shadow Fall, the action is set 30 years after the end of Killzone 3, where a cold war of sorts rages on between the Vektan and Helghast factions after the ISA relocate the Helghast to Vekta.

Knack

Crafted by SCE Japan Studio (Matthew went on a tour of the place during TGS), Knack is directed by Sony veteran (and Marble Madness designer) Mark Cerny. An action platformer reminiscent of Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet & Clank, Knack is about a creature that can draw in ice, metal, and other substances to make himself much larger and to give him new abilities.

DC Universe Online

Ever wanted to play an MMO set in the DC Universe? Thanks to Sony Online Entertainment, you can - better yet, the game has gone free-to-play (F2P) since it launched on PS3 and PC back in 2011, so you can get a taste of it for free. Given Jim Lee is the game's executive creative director, authenticity is assured. Besides, we liked it.

Resogun

Developed by Housemarque (the old-school developer behind the Super Stardust games), this new side-scrolling shoot-em-up is actually a spiritual successor to their earlier work. If that all sounds cool, wait until you hear the price tag: if you're a PlayStation Plus subscriber, this brand new and exclusive launch game is free.

Switch Galaxy Ultra

Developed by Atomicom, this futuristic racing game (think Wipeout but on rails) is also coming to the PlayStation Vita. Intrigued? Check out the game's official trailer, here.

Continue reading on page 2.

More You May Like

Comments (41)

You must be logged in to post comments.

or Register now!
sick_wierdo
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:10 AM Posted by sick_wierdo
PS4 all the way for the win

Ashes2Ashes
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:30 AM Posted by Ashes2Ashes
Great article. Love these opinion pieces. I am getting both though will be getting Xbox One first. By the time I get the Ps 4 the game line up will be incredible. Looking forward to the next gen!

Bunnny NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:38 AM Posted by Bunnny
Solid points.

I just feel so odd inside.
I want to want one, but I just don't.

The games don't scream out at me.
The controller is my thing... The edges around the d pad and O, X etc annoy me.
And graphics to me aren't the be all end all.

I don't have the time for full on JRPGS... so that's out.
And we all know Indie Games' true home is the land of PC/Steam/HumbleBundle.

I'll get one one day I suppose.
But for now I'll just stick with my ps3 and ps+.
Maybe upgrade my 360 to the One.

Sam NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:51 AM Posted by Sam
Awesome review good idea with this and the xbox one comment to give a deeper review

drivingproNZ
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:56 AM Posted by drivingproNZ
I cringe every time someone says a Playstation Plus game is 'free'. It isn't free, you're paying a monthly fee for it. Even then you don't get to play it if you decide to stop your PS Plus sub. So lets get over this 'free' terminology, you are renting it.

It's like saying I spent $10 to enter the local video rental shop, and left with some free movies.

Anyway... Can't wait for the PS4 to be released, pre-ordered mine back in June :)

AudaciousGnome NZGamer.com VIP VIP Silver
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:59 AM Posted by AudaciousGnome
Solid points. The biggest thing for me is the exclusives that will (likely)be coming up. Next God of War, Unchartered, Last of us sequel, Killzone and Heavy Rain. Sure the Xbox One will have the next Halo but that will be mitigated by Destiny.

If Gaikai comes to fruition then i will be able to play all the great games i missed on PS3 as well.

I will be sad to leave behind the xbox 360 controller, which is the best controller ever, but I simply cannot miss out on those PS exclusives again.

Plus the price, graphics(8gb RAM= long term performance), PS+ etc etc all make it a no brainer for ME*.

*It is one or the other console for me. I simply don't have enough time to justify having two consoles. Obviously if you do then get both.

AudaciousGnome NZGamer.com VIP VIP Silver
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 11:05 AM Posted by AudaciousGnome
14 October 2013, 10:56 AM Reply to drivingproNZ

While they aren't "free", the PS+ service is certainly a bargain considering the massive value you get. Once more when you compare it to its xbox predecessor you really start to appreciate it.

We(xbox) have been getting games like Might and Magic with Live Gold while PS+ subscribers have been getting Far Cry 3, Saints Row etc etc. I know which games i would rather get....

* *
This comment has been promoted by the community.
drivingproNZ
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 11:12 AM Posted by drivingproNZ
14 October 2013, 11:05 AM Reply to AudaciousGnome

Completely agree that it is great value for money, and nice to see it has forced Xbox Live to do something similar.

Bring on the awesome next gen games :)

sick_wierdo
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 12:07 PM Posted by sick_wierdo
14 October 2013, 10:51 AM Reply to Sam
What review?

This comment has been down-voted by the community.
Deanology NZGamer.com VIP VIP Gold
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 2:09 PM Posted by Deanology
My main factors are friends & games.
All my friends are going to get a PS4, and I will also.

Nothing exclusive to the XB1 appeals.
(barring Dead Rising and Ryse).

Khaos_Kiwi NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 2:17 PM Posted by Khaos_Kiwi
I tried going into choosing the next gen console on a clean slate - as in I was going to see what they both offered and then make my decision from there. I owned a PS2 last gen and then an Xbox 360 for this gen.

I don't see the point of having some sort of corporate brand allegiance. I made my decision by looking at what both companies were offering: their track record, their messaging/vision, and most importantly the console itself.

However, from the get go I was already to begin to be pushed to Sony and the PS4.

This was due to the absolutely poor build quality of the Xbox 360 and its accessories. I am currently on my 4th Xbox 360. The first one had RRoD (which MS already knew would happen), the second (replacement) then had a fault which caused me to not be able to go online. I then bought an Elite - which would you know it eventually had the same exact problem! And only a few months after the warranty expired too. So I had payed to get sent a replacement console and now here I am.

Now I always take care of my stuff, so I am extremely surprised at the shoddy build quality of the Xbox 360 accessories. The rubber grip on the thumbsticks always wears down until there is nothing left apart from the plastic stick. I've also had multiple problems with the Xbox play-and-charge kits. Either the cord itself stops sending a charge, or more commonly, the battery packs give out and no longer work.

So with that being said, I was still planning of giving MS a chance. But then came their reveal. And I don't care that they changed their policies- they still revealed the true intentions of their console. And you can't say that they won't try to bring all that back.

I also don't like the direction with having kinect being bundled with the console- I like to have choice whether I wan't a particular accessory or not.

They still haven't learned from last gen and insist on paying for 3rd party (timed) exclusives, instead of developing their own 1st part studios.

I see that they are doing exactly what they did this gen with the Xbox 360. Coming out with some nice exclusives at launch, but then will eventually just forget about the games.

To me, the Ps4 is just the better choice. The power of the console will be a factor after the first couple of years, especially due to their being no limitations holding the console back (no complicated architecture like Cell).

The company has been more honest with it's potential consumers. They have had a clear message from the very beginning. This helps to develop trust, which is very important due to the $650.00 and 5+ year investment that I will be making.

I'm not buying a console based on launch exclusives (no one really should). I look at Sony's track record and see that their 1st party studios continue to produce quality games well into the end of the consoles lifespan.

I see and hear about all the feedback they took into consideration into vastly improving their controller.

I love the look of PS+. It rewards me for paying to use their services. I'm no stranger to doing this, after buying Xbox Live Gold for 7 odd years- and I actually get free games with it!

After weighing up both consoles, I am extremely confident I have picked the right one and will enjoy playing the next generation of gaming on the Sony PlayStation 4.

This comment has been promoted by the community.
Coddfish NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 2:30 PM Posted by Coddfish
Buy a PS4 and win an Xbox One from the V competition.

Easy, both bases covered.

This comment has been promoted by the community.
KiwiSharp NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 3:32 PM Posted by KiwiSharp
Nice write up, nice to read something positive about both consoles to so we can compare.

I wish I could get both consoles on launch but have to pick one or the other. Based on my personal preferences that will be the Xbox One. Still believe the PS4 to be an awesome console though.

Going to be an exciting Gen arriving for gaming!

Axe99
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 3:37 PM Posted by Axe99
I'm not sure the PS3 did have more JRPGs. It finished more strongly, but the XB360 came out of the gate hard, before petering out. That said, you'd be a brave person betting against the PS4 having more JRPGs, given the size (or lack thereof) of Microsoft's current push in Japan.

You also have voice-activated instant sharing on XB1 as well. PS4 announced it first, but both boxes have it.

PS4 for me though, an incredibly easy decision. Better range of games (War Thunder, Planetside 2, the big exclusives, the smaller indies (Galax-Z looks the bomb, and Resogun looks pretty sharp as well, just to name a couple), and we still don't know what half of Sony's in-house studios are up to ;)), cheaper price, more grunt under the hood, controller without offset sticks (my preference - not saying that offset sticks are wrong or right, but this is about my purchase, so I'll go with the one I want ;)), PS+, what's not to love. XB1 looks good as well, but not enough exclusive games that interest me (Crimson Dragon and Zoo Tycoon are really the only two, and they're not enough to find the money to grab one at launch).

Bappernz NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 4:58 PM Posted by Bappernz
always had playstations and always will, they little grey box got me hooked at a young age and i don't think i will ever break its hold on me...

Jakted NZGamer.com VIP VIP
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 5:06 PM Posted by Jakted
PS4 here i come. ill end up getting both at some point but PS4 first :)

Timzone NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 5:07 PM Posted by Timzone
For me it's about already having a PS3 and a vita, Playstation plus and remote play make PS4 my first choice. Having said that if/when finance allows I would love picking up a xbone.

This comment has been promoted by the community.
Vicx NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 6:04 PM Posted by Vicx
I'd say the other reason it's so cheap is because they didn't spend so much on R&D for the Bluray, it's all established technology now, just more up-to-date.

hitokirix
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 8:20 PM Posted by hitokirix
All my buds are getting ps4's so i'll have to get one this time around I am the black sheep of the group getting a 360 lol time to swing back to play all the games I missed out on

Bank NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 9:41 PM Posted by Bank
Honestly the PS+ service's entire existence is equal to stealing from the industry and forever getting away with it.

The philosophy and benefits are insane.

kiwibadboy NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:58 PM Posted by kiwibadboy
Well, I am personally a PlayStation gamer, but the Xbox one has had a lot of changes, and it's looking to be a real competitor.

kiwibadboy NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 11:00 PM Posted by kiwibadboy
Sorry for double post, but I need someone to clarify this for me:
"In addition, a raft of PS4 titles were either............ Sega’s Yakuza Ishin (Restoration)......." Does this mean that Ishin is coming to the PS4??? I didn't catch any footage of it during Sony's conference. Plus it was only announced at TGS and not E3......I'm confused, can someone help?

brettz0r NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Monday 14 Oct 2013 11:34 PM Posted by brettz0r
"forget the console’s specifications, they only matter to developers who need to optimize their games."
I disagree with this.

I personally think everyone should buy the console that has better specs and has a better history of reliability (My original psx and ps2 still work 100%)
All the games worth buying will eventually find there way over to the PS4 as the developers know people will buy them and they want to make money.

ModifiedSoul NZGamer.com VIP VIP
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 2:28 AM Posted by ModifiedSoul
I think the comments section for these two articles highlights another positive aspect for one of the consoles

XSpike
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 7:54 AM Posted by XSpike
Here's better reasons as that list is so poor it misses out on everything that makes PS4 better.

1) http://www.nag.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Console-Wars-exclusive-games-comparison.jpg

MS doesn't really make many games / barely gets any exclusives, PS3 year after year gets a ton.. Expect PS4 to be very similar - Sony owns a lot off Studios, MS owns a lot off Devs who work on Kinect games.

2) PS+, it may just be a rental service to some but it offers best value for money for most gamers
Just look at that list for as cheap as $65-90 a year (+ goes on special pretty often making it even cheaper). You might need + for MP on PS4 but I'll tell you now 1 year off MP on ps4 & you'll have so many games on ps3/4/vita that you'll want all consoles.

3) PS Vita/VitaTV, remote play will be very seamless as Sony bought Gankai who have added an extra processor to the P4 to process all remote play functions & streaming content of the cloud. This allows all games to be remote played with no hassle to developers unlike PS3.

4) PS4 can record 15mins of gameplay & then edited & posted online - Xbox 1.. Only 5 mins of SP & 30secs off online gameplay. PS4 suited for reviewers, utube subs, in anything to do with recording.

5) PS4 can read games off the disc, doesn't required a 50gb install to a non removable hdd like the Xb1, ps4 gives you the choice to do a full install or not.

6) You can put in a SSD or 1tb hard drive, the choice is yours! Your not stuck with 500gb! Which btw won't last 1 year for a lot off people, MY PS3 hdd if it was 500gb would struggle to fit 1 years worth off PS+ games on current gen! Not even ibcluding the games I actually bought.

7) Free apps & vid recording - no need for PS+ to listen to Music Unlimited or to record gameplay, Xb1 on the other hand has everything behind XBL gold - even game demos..

8) Instant game join - MS not the only one.

9) Touch screen on the PS4 controller making RTS games easier on console + whatever else, theres many uses for it.

10) & a big one at that, DS4 as a inbuilt rechargeable battery - MS still going with batteries & you'll need to buy a rechargeable battery pack. Are we still in 2005? M$ still looking for extra $ on top off anything

atipuss NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 8:26 AM Posted by atipuss
ps4 for me because of games and ps+ :D

Mattress NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 1:11 PM Posted by Mattress
15 October 2013, 07:54 AM Reply to XSpike

8) Instant game join - MS not the only one.

On your last point, the price of a PS4 controller (with an in-built battery pack) is more expensive than an X1 controller + battery pack - and if you choose to not get the battery pack then you can save approximately $30 on an X1 controller compared to PS4. So not sure what you're crowing about there.

Winger Gee NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 2:52 PM Posted by Winger Gee
Beautiful piece of architecture to grace my electronic entourage.... I need a 65" UltraHD TV with 6 x HDMI inputs !!! Which came first- the TV or the PS4 ????

cortez72 NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 7:26 PM Posted by cortez72
14 October 2013, 10:38 AM Reply to Bunnny
Solid points.

I just feel so odd inside.
I want to want one, but I just don't.

The games don't scream out at me.
The controller is my thing... The edges around the d pad and O, X etc annoy me.
And graphics to me aren't the be all end all.

I don't have the time for full on JRPGS... so that's out.
And we all know Indie Games' true home is the land of PC/Steam/HumbleBundle.

I'll get one one day I suppose.
But for now I'll just stick with my ps3 and ps+.
Maybe upgrade my 360 to the One.
As far as the controller goes, it won't be long before they buckle and release the original controller.

They are trying to re-invent the wheel- but no one can get used to the octagon shaped tire, the round one works so much better they will concede.

Otherwise, as it pertains to the above. I played DC Universe for 2 1/2 years solidly and proudly cancelled by subscription a few months back. That game is a mess, better left alone to die a slow death. Forget the authenticity tag used above, there is very little DC character content to play after level 30. You'll reach that level cap by the end of the week.

Then begins the roll out of B-side characters good and bad, battling in the same environments you played over an over to the level cap. Grinding for gear which never drops, when it does the disappointment at a common style with higher stats. You zombie and drone out mashing the same button combo's scene after scene as kids half your age call you noob for not being a cookie cutter of the other 5000 healers/controllers/tanks. You start each session excited about what you might discover today, and finish each session lamenting the time you wasted and the hopes which were dashed.

... feels good to get that off my chest. Wasted so much time and money on that game.

Jakted NZGamer.com VIP VIP
On Wednesday 16 Oct 2013 8:26 PM Posted by Jakted
had a thought about this yesterday most of the new release games are coming out on PS4 and PS3 right Forza 5 should really be a 360 game and xboxone game

rocketman12 NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Friday 18 Oct 2013 4:41 PM Posted by rocketman12
I had never seen the trailer for Knack before, it looks really cool. I would buy a PS4 just to play it.

ModifiedSoul NZGamer.com VIP VIP
On Saturday 19 Oct 2013 11:27 AM Posted by ModifiedSoul
18 October 2013, 04:41 PM Reply to rocketman12
I played it a few weeks ago it as actually quite fun, hard but fun, I'm hoping the difficulty was put up to speed up the lines forming to play it, and the controller felt amazing

Teamkaos
On Monday 21 Oct 2013 1:37 PM Posted by Teamkaos
16 October 2013, 08:26 PM Reply to Jakted
Xbox360 isnt powerful enough to run Forza 5.

sick_wierdo
On Monday 21 Oct 2013 3:09 PM Posted by sick_wierdo
16 October 2013, 08:26 PM Reply to Jakted
I wish Forza was also on Playstation, I personally think Forza is a damn sight better than Gran Turismo.

dark_hadou1 NZGamer.com VIP VIP Bronze
On Friday 1 Nov 2013 1:53 PM Posted by dark_hadou1
I don't know why reviewers are still writing for "Why X over Y" when it comes to next gen, majority of people have already made up their mind.

And if they haven't, stiff titties, because hey - the PS4 is all preordered as of beginning of August!

I would have liked to have bought one, but I was away for work when the preorders came out, and were all done with when I got back. Now the wait....

gspcdNZ NZGamer.com VIP VIP
On Wednesday 6 Nov 2013 7:11 AM Posted by gspcdNZ
Meh. It doesn't bring enough to the table for me. Not at launch anyway. Give it 9 to 12 months, maybe longer.

gspcdNZ NZGamer.com VIP VIP
On Wednesday 6 Nov 2013 7:29 AM Posted by gspcdNZ
I honestly would love to buy the PS4. I've already pre-paid for the X1 and if I cahnged my mind I wouldnt get one for months, so Im in the MS camp for now. But Im a huge Vita fan and love the support the PS4 will give the Vita.

There are always going to be great exclusives for both consoles, which does mean I will buy both consoles. (price permitting)

The COD and BF visuals for current and next gen looks similar enough. If studios continue to release new games for current gen, I will start to question the point of next gen...

Im super excited to see what this little war brings to the consumer.

psgamer16
On Saturday 9 Nov 2013 2:54 PM Posted by psgamer16
im getting a ps4. but i dont care if you wanna get a xbox one because im not the one playing it or spending extra out of my pocket for it. At the end of the day we are all gamers and next gen looks amazing on both consoles

ModifiedSoul NZGamer.com VIP VIP
On Thursday 21 Nov 2013 8:54 AM Posted by ModifiedSoul
XB1 tomorrow and then PS4 when SS comes out pow pow

caitlin007
On Thursday 5 Dec 2013 2:30 PM Posted by caitlin007
I wish the left for dead series came onto the playstation now that would be cool

ModifiedSoul NZGamer.com VIP VIP
On Monday 14 Apr 2014 3:39 PM Posted by ModifiedSoul
21 November 2013, 08:54 AM Reply to ModifiedSoul
XB1 tomorrow and then PS4 when SS comes out pow pow
reply to myself (classy right), to note i followed through with exactly this ^ :)