Electronic Arts NZ has announced that the series has sold over 100 million units worldwide and generated 2.7 billion USD revenue since the release of the original Need For Speed in 1994.
“Few videogame franchises ever reach the 100M units mark, so this is a huge honor. We have millions of fans to thank for driving us to this milestone,”
said Frank Gibeau, president, EA Games Label. “With the launch of Need for Speed SHIFT and the upcoming release of Need for Speed NITRO, we hope to continue to deliver the most entertaining, action-packed racing experiences.”
Check out the series’ accomplishments:
· Launched 15 blockbuster titles across more than 14 platforms
· Released in 22 languages in over 60 countries
· Players have raced over 279 billion miles of roads & race tracks
· Generated over 17 trillion user-generated vehicle customizations
· Featured actors, models & musicians including: Brooke Burke (Wild On), Christina Milian (Ghosts of Girlfriends Past), Emmanuelle Vaugier (Two and a Half Men), Josie Maran (Sports Illustrated swimsuit model and actress), Maggie Q (Mission: Impossible III), Kanye West, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Prodigy
· Debuted exclusive remix from Snoop Dogg of The Door’s classic song Riders on the Storm
· Sold more games than all new passenger cars sales in the U.S since 1994**
· If Need for Speed boxes were laid out end-to-end, it would span
173,609 football fields
· 100M units represents nearly every household in the United States and is 3x the population of Canada
The latest titles in the franchise are the upcoming Nintendo exclusive, Need For Speed Nitro on DS & Wii, PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360 title, Need For Speed Shift and Need for Speed World Online on PC which will begin the beta testing in Taiwan soon and open to international players next year.
Keep it locked on NZGamer.com